Is there a way to STOP Virtual Network Gateway Resource, to optimize my azure costs? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi folks, I need to reduce my cost with Azure, and one of my resource that costs me a lot of money is the VPN Gateway, I don´t need to use it 24x24, so my idea was to stop it over night and restart it again during the day. Is this possible to achieve?

Regards,

Nivaldo

Nivaldo Soraggi Fernandes Support Manager TWTInfo

Tuesday, September 3, 2019 4:41 PM

Answers

• Hi, there is no stop/start option for VNG.

You could automate a delete and recreate if you leveraged a static public IP?

Tuesday, September 3, 2019 5:15 PM

All replies

• Hi, there is no stop/start option for VNG.

You could automate a delete and recreate if you leveraged a static public IP?

Tuesday, September 3, 2019 5:15 PM
  • Thanks for the reply Joe, my actual configuration is a Point-to-Site vpn. Doing this process of delete and recreate, I would have to reconfigure the VPN on my users machines as well, or I´m wrong? 

Tuesday, September 3, 2019 5:29 PM
  • Hi, 

Yes, your client need to download the package once again when you recreate a new gateway. 

Regards, 

Msrini

Tuesday, September 3, 2019 6:14 PM
  • So, that solution does not apply to my scenario, any other ideas?

Tuesday, September 3, 2019 6:47 PM
  • Sorry, wasn't aware it was P2S. 

No, unfortunately there is no alternative, but is the P2S just from RDP/SSH to machines? 

Have you looked at Azure Bastion?

Wednesday, September 4, 2019 7:22 AM
  • Hi, 

As of today, you will not get an option to stop/start VPN gateway. Application Gateway has an option to do that but not VPN gateway. 

So, if you are concerned about the cost, then instead of VPN gateway, you can go for OpenVPN which is available in market place. (Network Virtual Appliance) 

You can turn off the VM as you wanted. 

Reference: https://azuremarketplace.microsoft.com/en-us/marketplace/apps/openvpn.openvpnas?tab=Overview 

Regards, 

Msrini

Wednesday, September 4, 2019 11:53 AM
  • Thank you guys, the need for P2S is to run an local aplication connecting to the server that is on Azure. OpenVPN is a solution, but I need performance on the traffic, and Azure VPN give me much more performance than a server running OpenVPN.

I think that my best option would be change my local hardware so it can be compatible with S2S, and deploy the first solution that Joe gave.

Wednesday, September 4, 2019 12:18 PM