none
What is the best way to generate License Key for my app? RRS feed

• Question

• I became interested in distributing my commercial application. And the question is - how to do it in the best way?
    What are the key generation algorithms? Or some other ways?
    I would be grateful for any advice
    Regards, Greg
    Friday, November 2, 2018 2:56 PM

Answers

• Take a look at the following blog post, source code is listed on GitHub at the bottom of the post. Personally speaking if the app is a paid for app and you expected a good deal of revenue consider a paid for license library.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

Saturday, November 3, 2018 3:19 PM

All replies

• Hi,

key generation algorithm? Is this still in use? Imao key generation algorithm is for the time when people had rarely internet... I would use a key validation server to activate the software. But this means, no internet, no running software...

Greetings, Chris

Friday, November 2, 2018 4:10 PM
  • you can check following stackoverflow url to create a license key for c# applications.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/453030/how-can-i-create-a-product-key-for-my-c-sharp-application

Regards

Tutlane.com

Saturday, November 3, 2018 6:36 AM
  • Take a look at the following blog post, source code is listed on GitHub at the bottom of the post. Personally speaking if the app is a paid for app and you expected a good deal of revenue consider a paid for license library.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

Saturday, November 3, 2018 3:19 PM
  • Hi Greg McGreen,

Here is a open source for licence key generation, which can be bundled with distributed desktop software, or for granting access to online services.

https://github.com/garethrbrown/.net-licence-key-generator

Best regards,

Zhanglong

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 5, 2018 2:13 AM
  • Thanks for the link. It was one of the first places where I was looking for an answer) This is useful topic.

Monday, November 5, 2018 11:42 AM
  • You can use ready-made solutions. Such tools as Armdot or SSH Keys (like in blog adwiced by Karen Payne) can be useful in generating and verifying keys.
    Also, you can write key generator yourself. Then you can control all the nuances of your product.

Regards

Tuesday, November 6, 2018 6:10 PM
  • Hi Greg McGreen,

If the reply is helpful, please mark it as answer, it will be beneficial to other communities who have the similar issue.

Best regards,

Zhanglong

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 7, 2018 5:10 AM
  • Thank you very much for your advice. I think I found everything I need!
    Monday, November 12, 2018 12:57 PM