none
Creating a web- add in that calls templates/macros RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I've made an add-in that customizes the ribbon to let users open pre-made templates by clicking a button on word online. I wanted it to work just as you would open a template on the desktop version of the application. The way I did this was linking the button to a "Read Only" file, using a share link (since if they could edit, the template would be ruined). The problem with this issue is that when they open the 'read only' file, they are unable to make a copy and edit it.

On google docs there is a way to make a copy of a read only file, is there a way to do it on word online? (note: the template needs to be edited on word online, not the desktop application).I know there are ways to make the copy through one drive but i was hoping to make a copy/save the document on landing page when you click the button ( which opens the doc)

There also a chance this is not the right way to go about solving this issue. I would greatly appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction on how to make this add-in to call templates. The only requirement is that the templates be called on word online.

Wednesday, March 7, 2018 2:16 PM

All replies

• Hi AnswerMyQuestionPl0x,

You had asked,"On google docs there is a way to make a copy of a read only file, is there a way to do it on word online?"

You need to Save As the file in Word Online to make it editable.

You can try to save your templets in One Drive and then you can open it from there and Save As it to use it further.

There is no any option available in Word Online to make a copy of Read Only file.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 8, 2018 6:56 AM