none
Like to create small program to add an action to the default handler for Window's Shortcut (lnk) files.

Question

• Hello;

I am hoping to write a small program, batch file or script that could replace the default handler for shortcut (lnk) files in Windows. It only needs to do two things: a) If the shortcut file is in a specific directory, change the date-modified or date-created attributes of the shortcut file. (This way the list of shortcuts could be sorted by the date the shortcut was accessed.) And b), call the standard default shortcut handler. It should do this last part in such a way that neither the user or the default handler was aware of my program.

If anyone can help with this or knows where I can find the information I need to do this, I sure would appreciate it.

Sincerely;
    Michelle

Thursday, February 9, 2017 6:20 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Michelle,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

Refer to your description, your issue is about the development issue. Since our forum is to discuss Visual Studio WPF/SL Designer, Visual Studio Guidance Automation Toolkit, Developer Documentation and Help System, and Visual Studio Editor, it is better to redirect the appropriate forum per your development language skill and start a new thread for your issue, I listed some development language foruma that maybe suitable for your requirement. You will get a more professional support, sorry for this inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

VB Development forum: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/home?forum=vbgeneral

C++ Development forum: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/home?forum=vcgeneral

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, February 10, 2017 7:45 AM
  • Thanks much. I'll try over in the VB forum.

Sincerely;

Michelle

Monday, February 13, 2017 8:28 PM
  • Hi Michelle,

You are welcome, if you have any issue about VS IDE in the future, please feel free to let me know.

BTW, if you think my reply is helpful for your issue, please mark it as answer, that will make other community members that meet the similar issue to know the way to search the appropriate forum for their development issue, thank you for your support. :)

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Chell56 Tuesday, February 14, 2017 6:27 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Chell56 Tuesday, February 14, 2017 6:27 PM
    Tuesday, February 14, 2017 9:13 AM