Tile background color

Question

• Hi,

I know how to change tile background color by using manifests but how can i do it from application level?

Monday, October 24, 2011 10:15 AM

All replies

• Hi Piotr,

I do not think there is a way to do this for the primary tile (I could not find an API for it).  Your tile should establish your branding and I would think changing the color would confuse the user.  Do you have a use-case where you think changing your tile color would be beneficial?

-Jeff

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)
    Monday, October 24, 2011 2:20 PM
  • Hi Jeff

Yes we're hitting this problem too. The use case is that we have a generic neutral-colored tile (gray or white) for our default app tile, and then when we push tile notifications to it, they can be green (positive news) or red (negative).

We think being able to change the background color of the tiles is quite a basic UX requirement (given that all our designers keep asking for it and assume we can do it), so it seems a bit restrictive and autocratic to not expose this in the API. 

Making assumptions  based on Win8 dev companies relatonships with their own brands and customers and needs seems like a beta decision that hopefully will get upgraded in a later release.

Likewise, we haven't been able to change the color of text in the tiles or toast and again consistently get UX requirements from our designers to do so. For example, in one scenario we want a white background for all toast, but then the title text can be either red or green.

Is there some way we can raise feedback like this to the MSFT team for consideration?

Thanks

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 3:24 PM
  • I am also developing an App in C# and I have a use-case for this too.

My app deals with huge amounts of data, lots of uploading and downloading to do, and by default my tile color is white, but it is pretty much guaranteed that the users of our Apps won't be staring at our app for 2hours and doing nothing, so you would assume that they would flick between different apps, go to the start screen atleast a couple times... Well, the use case for this app is that our Tile background color will be a nice red-ish color while it is still uploading/downloading data, and when it's finished, it will either turn to green, or just back to its default color.

I hope the MSFT team will consider changing their minds about this one.

One thing that has stopped me from going to Mac all these years is the lack of customizability that Macs have compared to Windows. I'd hate for Windows to become less customizable. :-)

Saturday, December 3, 2011 12:04 PM
  • Thanks for the Feedback J!
    Jeff Sanders (MSFT)
    Monday, December 5, 2011 1:23 PM