Launcher.LaunchUriAsync() Fail Silently?

Question

• Is it possible to have a call to Launcher.LaunchUriAsync() fail silently? I don't want to bug the user if an application with the specified protocol is not installed. Better yet, if I could check to see if the desired protocol is handled, I could avoid making the call in the first place.

I've tried passing a LauncherOptions instance with .FallbackUri set to the calling application's protocol, but this causes null reference exceptions.

Thanks.

Friday, December 5, 2014 1:33 AM

Answers

• Hi plagueczar,

I don't think we can handle the behavior for Launcher class. Tried to find the documentation but looks no existing API.

If there is no app that can handle the protocol in your PC, a screen suggest you to open Windows Store to search for specific protocol is popup, we cannot manually control it or dismiss it.

--James

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, December 8, 2014 6:58 AM

All replies

• Considering just making this page the FallbackUri.
    Friday, December 5, 2014 6:11 AM
  • Bump.
    Sunday, December 7, 2014 10:25 PM
  • Hi plagueczar,

I don't think we can handle the behavior for Launcher class. Tried to find the documentation but looks no existing API.

If there is no app that can handle the protocol in your PC, a screen suggest you to open Windows Store to search for specific protocol is popup, we cannot manually control it or dismiss it.

--James

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Monday, December 8, 2014 6:58 AM
  • Is there any way to check to see if the protocol is supported before I call LaunchUri?
    Monday, December 8, 2014 10:44 PM
  • Protocol is system level stuff, once the app launch the uri by protocol, the dialog box comes from system but not your app. I don't think we can handle this or check if there is any protocol supported for the Uri.

--James

Tuesday, December 9, 2014 9:33 AM