none
How often are the Bing maps updated for Europe / Netherlands RRS feed

• Question

• There is a new highway in the Netherlands. This highway is opened at the end of 2015, but is still not visible on the maps.

The maps http://www.bing.com/maps/ , the maps store app and Here drive on my Windows phone are all out of date.

So my question is: How often are the maps updated?

Because of this lag in updates it seems that my investments in Bing seems not the best choice (at least not for Europe). Google is already updated and the source of Bing (Here) is also already updated months ago. Very strange that it is so hard to find info on the update frequency.

• Edited by Richard D Monday, March 7, 2016 3:45 PM
    Monday, March 7, 2016 8:06 AM

Answers

• The answers I have provided are the official answers (I'm on the Bing Maps team). New data is released 3 - 4 months, in nearly every country. However, just because date is released, it doesn't mean that all 100% of possible updates are released or available yet. The roundabout in question may not yet be updated, but a road a couple blocks away maybe. The world is a big place that is constantly changing, there is no perfect map. All maps are incomplete, the only difference is that differences between maps varies. In the case of the roundabout, Google Maps has it and Bing doesn't, yet there are a lot of cases were Bing has data that Google doesn't, we see people report this all the time. Then there is a lot of data that neither platform has, as there is a lot of the world that simply isn't mapped, or doesn't have good enough quality map data to publish.

http://rbrundritt.wordpress.com

• Marked as answer by Richard D Thursday, March 10, 2016 2:32 PM
    Wednesday, March 9, 2016 11:18 PM

All replies

• If the data shows up on here.com then it will likely show up in Bing Maps in one of the next updates. There is a bit of delay between the platforms as all data goes through a quality control process before being integrated into Bing Maps. Bing Maps currently has a 3-4 month update cycle for location data. Improvements are in development to reduce this update frequency time.

• Proposed as answer by Ricky_Brundritt Tuesday, March 8, 2016 12:11 AM
    • Marked as answer by Richard D Wednesday, March 9, 2016 9:57 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Richard D Wednesday, March 9, 2016 10:05 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Ricky_Brundritt Wednesday, March 9, 2016 4:50 PM
    Tuesday, March 8, 2016 12:11 AM
  • I've done some research. If you look at 51.352159 , 6.013505 there should be a roundabout that is there since august 2015, so more than half a year ago. It shows correctly on Google but still has the old situation on Bing.

So I think that Bing maps are more likely to be updated once a year or even less.

• Edited by Richard D Wednesday, March 9, 2016 10:11 AM
    Wednesday, March 9, 2016 10:00 AM
  • New data is released every 3 - 4 months in Bing Maps. This doesn't mean new data is available or released everywhere.

• Proposed as answer by Ricky_Brundritt Wednesday, March 9, 2016 4:50 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Richard D Wednesday, March 9, 2016 8:34 PM
    Wednesday, March 9, 2016 4:50 PM
  • That's is why I asked "How often are the Bing maps updated for Europe / Netherlands".

That question is still unanswered. . . .

Wednesday, March 9, 2016 8:35 PM
  • The answers I have provided are the official answers (I'm on the Bing Maps team). New data is released 3 - 4 months, in nearly every country. However, just because date is released, it doesn't mean that all 100% of possible updates are released or available yet. The roundabout in question may not yet be updated, but a road a couple blocks away maybe. The world is a big place that is constantly changing, there is no perfect map. All maps are incomplete, the only difference is that differences between maps varies. In the case of the roundabout, Google Maps has it and Bing doesn't, yet there are a lot of cases were Bing has data that Google doesn't, we see people report this all the time. Then there is a lot of data that neither platform has, as there is a lot of the world that simply isn't mapped, or doesn't have good enough quality map data to publish.

• Marked as answer by Richard D Thursday, March 10, 2016 2:32 PM
    Wednesday, March 9, 2016 11:18 PM
  • Ricky, thank you for your answer.

In the mean time, half a year has passed since the opening of a mayor highway and more than 8 months since the roundabout is finished, but neither are up to date on Bing maps. Google in stead, has everything correctly updated.

With pain in my heart (I really use Bing in stead of Google) I must switch to Google, because I get way too many complaints about the wrong milage calculations of the missing highway.

Monday, May 23, 2016 2:04 PM
  • Unfortunate to see you go. I believe we have an update for the roads coming in July. We have a ton of data updates planned over the next year from roads to addresses to imagery.

[Blog] [twitter] [LinkedIn]

Monday, May 23, 2016 11:15 PM