none
FTP connection to GXS (OpenText) seems to hang at "150 Data Connection Ready to open" RRS feed

• Question

• I am using BizTalk 2010, and trying to connect to GXS (now OpenText) using the FTP Adapter.  I have also been trying to use several other non-BizTalk FTP clients without success.

The log below shows that the client seems to get hung.  GXS says that it should be simple, and any FTP client should be able to connect.  I can recreate this behavior using command line ftp.  Anyone have experience connecting to GXS?

One other bit of info is that their is a VPN connection that gets spun up whenever this server connects to GXS, and they cannot see anything in their logs that looks like an issue. 

> USER XXXX.XXXX02
    < 331 Enter Password.
    > PASS xxxx
    < 230 Ready.
    > PWD
    < 257 "*.*/*" is the current directory
    > PWD
    > PWD
    > CWD XXXX.XXXXXX/EDI
    < 250 Currently to user XXXX.XXXXXX with class EDI.
    > PWD
    < 257 "XXXX.XXXXXX/EDI" is the current directory
    > TYPE A
    < 200 Type now set to A.
    > PORT 172,21,0,23,236,116
    < 200 Port command OK.
    > STOR 997TESTS_{01}.txt
    < 150 Data connection ready to open

Tuesday, March 17, 2015 3:33 PM

Answers

• Yes i totally agree with you here, first any tool should be able to connect to FTP server then only we should focus on BizTalk.

Also, I would suggest you to capture and compare FTP logs and logs on the server side simultaneously to see who is closing the connection.

Thanks,
    Prashant
    ----------------------------------------
    Please mark this post accordingly if it answers your query or is helpful.

• Marked as answer by Angie Xu Wednesday, March 25, 2015 7:21 AM
    Thursday, March 19, 2015 2:34 PM

All replies

• Hi Vibe,

I notice there is known issue 943228 - FIX: The BizTalk FTP Adapter reports that no files are available even though the files exist when you try to connect to a GXS server in BizTalk Server 2006 R2.

But I didnt find Fix available for BizTalk 2010.

For this issue, you could consider opening a support case. Visit this link to see the various support options that are available to better meet your needs:  http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=fh;en-us;offerprophone.

Rachit

Please mark as answer or vote as helpful if my reply does

Thursday, March 19, 2015 1:29 AM
  • Are you not able to connect using Non-BizTalk FTP Clients? If yes then the issue seems to be with GXS Server itself. Request for logs on the server side and compare the same with FTP logs in BizTalk. Try to figure out if there is any discrepancy. Also which version of OS are you using at FTP side? Check the Operating systems supported by the BizTalk FTP adapter https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/841478?wa=wsignin1.0 I would suggest you to open a ticket with Microsoft to further troubleshoot this issue.

Thanks,
    Prashant

Thursday, March 19, 2015 4:01 AM
  • Thanks  replies.  This is a Win2k8 R2 server.  we have tried ftp through command line, and several other ftp tools.  GXS says that everything is open, and that it is our setup. 

I am trying to get a call set up with them, to prove to them it is not my server setup, but some type of access on their side. 

Not planning to reach out to BT support until I can get a non-BT ftp client to connect successfully.  I was just hoping someone on here might have seen an issue like this before.

Thanks

Thursday, March 19, 2015 2:06 PM
  • Yes i totally agree with you here, first any tool should be able to connect to FTP server then only we should focus on BizTalk.

Also, I would suggest you to capture and compare FTP logs and logs on the server side simultaneously to see who is closing the connection.

Thanks,
    Prashant

• Marked as answer by Angie Xu Wednesday, March 25, 2015 7:21 AM
    Thursday, March 19, 2015 2:34 PM
  • Update:  since the connection was hanging at 150, the advanced support at GXS said it looked like when I initiated the connection, that they were sending back a handshake response on a 99xx port.  Well my firewall guys did not open the dynamic ports, so the response was being blocked.  Once they opened up the range, I am able to send to GXS. 

Now the problem is when I try to receive, I am getting an error that GXS does not support the SYST command.  Not sure how I am going to get around this one now.

mike

Monday, April 13, 2015 5:22 PM