none
Problem when install an unsigned device driver on Windows 7 64 bit OS -- Adding the driver package failed : A file could not be verified because it does not have an associated catalog signed via Authenticode(tm). RRS feed

• Question

• When I am trying to install an unsigned usb to serial device driver on a Windows 7 64 bit PC, I got the following error: "Adding the driver package failed : A file could not be verified because it does not have an associated catalog signed via Authenticode(tm)."  I  tried this from both device manager and with PnPUtil.exe -i -a myinf.inf. The PnpUtil.exe and device manager gave the same error message.  I used the same inf file on several other Win7/64 machines, it all work fine, but I keep getting this error message on this specific PC. I used Advanced Option (F8) during the booting process to "Disable the device signature enforcement". I also used "bcdedit /set testsigning ON" "bcdedit /set  no integritychecks ON" to disable the signature check, but I keep getting the same driver package verification error. I guess it is OS configuration related. Please help to shed some lights on this.

The INF file does not have the "CatalogFile" entry.

Jeff L.

• Edited by Jeff J Li Friday, February 10, 2017 12:30 AM
    Friday, February 10, 2017 12:01 AM

Answers

• Hi Doron,

The setupapi.dev.log said:

sto:           {DRIVERSTORE_IMPORT_NOTIFY_VALIDATE} 14:31:58.877
    !!!  sto:                Driver package does not contain a catalog file, and user does not want to install driver package.
    !!!  ndv:                Driver package failed signature validation. Error = 0xE000023F
         sto:           {DRIVERSTORE_IMPORT_NOTIFY_VALIDATE exit(0xe000023f)} 14:31:59.407
    !!!  sto:           Driver package failed signature verification. Error = 0xE000023F
    !!!  sto:           Failed to import driver package into Driver Store. Error = 0xE000023F
         sto:      {Stage Driver Package: exit(0xe000023f)} 14:31:59.407
    !!!  sto:      Failed to stage driver package to Driver Store. Error = 0xE000023F, Time = 561 ms

After I added a faked CataLogFile entry in the INF, then I got security warning dialog which is what I expected. I choose to install the unsigned the driver, it all went through. After that I reboot the computer and my device is recognized and all working fine. 

Thanks,

Jeff Li

• Marked as answer by Jeff J Li Friday, February 10, 2017 7:11 PM
    Friday, February 10, 2017 7:11 PM

All replies

• I forgot to mention that the INF does not have the "CatalogFile" entry since this is an unsigned driver.

Jeff L.

Friday, February 10, 2017 12:32 AM
  • What does setupapi.dev.log say?

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, February 10, 2017 6:42 AM
  • Hi Doron,

The setupapi.dev.log said:

sto:           {DRIVERSTORE_IMPORT_NOTIFY_VALIDATE} 14:31:58.877
    !!!  sto:                Driver package does not contain a catalog file, and user does not want to install driver package.
    !!!  ndv:                Driver package failed signature validation. Error = 0xE000023F
         sto:           {DRIVERSTORE_IMPORT_NOTIFY_VALIDATE exit(0xe000023f)} 14:31:59.407
    !!!  sto:           Driver package failed signature verification. Error = 0xE000023F
    !!!  sto:           Failed to import driver package into Driver Store. Error = 0xE000023F
         sto:      {Stage Driver Package: exit(0xe000023f)} 14:31:59.407
    !!!  sto:      Failed to stage driver package to Driver Store. Error = 0xE000023F, Time = 561 ms

After I added a faked CataLogFile entry in the INF, then I got security warning dialog which is what I expected. I choose to install the unsigned the driver, it all went through. After that I reboot the computer and my device is recognized and all working fine. 

Thanks,

Jeff Li

• Marked as answer by Jeff J Li Friday, February 10, 2017 7:11 PM
    Friday, February 10, 2017 7:11 PM