none
EW 4 as FTP Client RRS feed

• Question

• I have several websites on a Lunux server with HostMonster.com.  In their control panel there is a FTP area whre it is basically a drag amnd drop file transfer interface albeit slow.  I have 2 other sites on a Windows server SoftSys Hosting.  They have a file manger which lacks the same functionality. However I do have 2 FTP Accounts with that hosting packable. I want to get a FTP Client software to tranfer files with and I am not familiar with using such FTP.  I know that EW has FTP capabilities but again I am not clear on its use.  What I am trying to ask is, Can EW4 be used as a FTP client application or do should I get another application I know that htereare anyand some are free like FileZilla.  You would think that someone that has been using EW since it's inception would know thisd but I JUST DO NOT KNOW (hardest phrase to say sometimes). LOL

Thanks,

MIKE E

"It's like déjà vu all over again." — Yogi Berra
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 12:17 AM

Answers

• To use EW's FTP all you need to do is to set up an alternate publishing destination for the site(s) using the FTP protocol instead of HTTP. You do not need to set up FTP accounts on your server. (That would be used if you wished to permit others to FTP to the site. You could set up one or more permissions-based [or an anonymous FTP] accounts for them to use.) You should be able to use the same login credentials for FTP that you use for FPSE/HTTP publishing.

That said, since you already have everything set up for HTTP publishing, there is no need to switch to FTP unless you just want to. The one feature of the FPSE that is entirely admirable, so long as it lasts (i.e. is supported) is the virtually transparent and reliably consistent publishing capabilities.

Frankly, since you are already working with FPSE publishing, and as long as you encounter no issues, I would say just stick with them. Plenty of time to switch to FTP publishing if and when (a) your providers notify you that they will no longer support FPSE, and/or (b) when EW actually has FTP publishing that is worthy of the name, something that is, unfortunately, not currently available.

Your choice, but in your position I would just stick with what you've got.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.
    • Marked as answer by ebermed Tuesday, November 23, 2010 7:05 PM
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 4:51 PM
  • "Because the publishing function of EW would not work with out them being installed."

No, the publishing function of EW also works fine *without them*, and in fact you are encouraged to wean yourself from using them, since support for them is going, going, gone, and your hosting account may drop them at any time.

Look at your publishing options when you set up the publishing destination. Don't select http (FPSE) publishing, select FTP publishing.  Put in your FTP credentials and the FTP directory.

Of course,  don't do this if you actually still use the FP extensions for any  function  in your site, since publishing with FTP can break them.

And if you are using them only for http publishing (in other words, you won't be caught short if your host drops them), you can continue to do so until they are dropped.

• Marked as answer by ebermed Tuesday, November 23, 2010 7:06 PM
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 5:29 PM

All replies

• Unless you have FrontPage extensions installed on your account, you are using FTP when you publish with EW.

Unless all your sites are old FrontPage sites, and all your hosting accounts have FrontPage extensions installed (including the Linux ones, which would be quite unusual), how have you been publishing?

I'm also quite confused by your statement, "I know that EW has FTP capabilities but again I am not clear on its use. What I am trying to ask is, Can EW4 be used as a FTP client application". If you know that EW has FTP capabilities, what do you mean by asking if it can FTP? I don't understand the distinction you are making.

Tuesday, November 23, 2010 12:32 AM
  • Thank you Kathy,

I have been confused about this from the beginning. So I will answer you first Yes I have FPE installed on both servers.  And I publish with HTTP as I have since my Front Page days.  Because the publishing function of EW would not work with out them being installed.  I can uninstall them easily if need be.

As to FTP as I said the Linux site has in its control panel an FTP area where you can set up accounts and they have an area called "unlimited FTP" which opens a Java app interface that has local / remote directories side by side with arrows in the middle similar to EW's publish interface.  that is a drag and drop.

My windows server let's me setup FTP accounts (which I do not know how to use) and a file manager that is slow and limited in the number of files  you can upload at one time/ session.  I have seen software apps like Fillezilla, CuteFTPLite, and so forth.  Should I get one of them or will EW4 do the same thing.  I am trying to be as cl;ear as I can be sorry if I am not helping you understand my issue.

Again Thanks for the reply

MIKE E

"It's like déjà vu all over again." — Yogi Berra
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 4:02 PM
  • To use EW's FTP all you need to do is to set up an alternate publishing destination for the site(s) using the FTP protocol instead of HTTP. You do not need to set up FTP accounts on your server. (That would be used if you wished to permit others to FTP to the site. You could set up one or more permissions-based [or an anonymous FTP] accounts for them to use.) You should be able to use the same login credentials for FTP that you use for FPSE/HTTP publishing.

That said, since you already have everything set up for HTTP publishing, there is no need to switch to FTP unless you just want to. The one feature of the FPSE that is entirely admirable, so long as it lasts (i.e. is supported) is the virtually transparent and reliably consistent publishing capabilities.

Frankly, since you are already working with FPSE publishing, and as long as you encounter no issues, I would say just stick with them. Plenty of time to switch to FTP publishing if and when (a) your providers notify you that they will no longer support FPSE, and/or (b) when EW actually has FTP publishing that is worthy of the name, something that is, unfortunately, not currently available.

Your choice, but in your position I would just stick with what you've got.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.
    • Marked as answer by ebermed Tuesday, November 23, 2010 7:05 PM
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 4:51 PM
  • I use SmartFTP exclusively, even for EW4 generated files. It is quite sophisticated (and fast) and does many things that others don't  OK, it is not a freebie, at least after 30 days, but I find the Home version at <$40 us well worth it.

http://www.smartftp.com

Diabolo
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 4:58 PM
  • "Because the publishing function of EW would not work with out them being installed."

No, the publishing function of EW also works fine *without them*, and in fact you are encouraged to wean yourself from using them, since support for them is going, going, gone, and your hosting account may drop them at any time.

Look at your publishing options when you set up the publishing destination. Don't select http (FPSE) publishing, select FTP publishing.  Put in your FTP credentials and the FTP directory.

Of course,  don't do this if you actually still use the FP extensions for any  function  in your site, since publishing with FTP can break them.

And if you are using them only for http publishing (in other words, you won't be caught short if your host drops them), you can continue to do so until they are dropped.

• Marked as answer by ebermed Tuesday, November 23, 2010 7:06 PM
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 5:29 PM
  • <quote>(including the Linux ones, which would be quite unusual), </quote>

All of my sites are still on Linux servers with extensions.

;-)

Expression Web MVP
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 5:46 PM
  • "All of my sites are still on Linux servers with extensions."

Yes, but it's still quite unusual.  I didn't say it was impossible. :)

Tuesday, November 23, 2010 6:03 PM
  • Never heard of LUNUX. Maybe it's a Lummox box?
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 8:28 PM
  • For a default Windows Pro 8.1 workstation... All we really need for FTP is File Explorer.

Find a Linux server running 'Microsoft Server 2012', or later technology.
    Use File Explorer default My PC view. 
    In the right file view pane, right click and select 'Add a new network location'.

Enter the FTP details. Windows will automatically authenticate all your FTP activity,
    according to your web servers policies. 
    Potentially, the remote server account directory will function on your local machine like a local folder.
    This may include the ability to right click and create new Word files for Office 365, and so on.
    However, that potential depends entirely on server policy.

Clicking EW's publish can be supplemented by File Explorer, for some tasks.

2014... 30 years an artist (web design, not development)

Tuesday, July 15, 2014 4:59 AM
  • Oh. My. God!

You again.

Did you really not notice that this question was asked FOUR YEARS AGO?!? And that it had already been marked as answered TWICE?!? And that it was about a Linux server, Not Windows 8.1?!?

Go away, Mark. As usual, you contribute nothing but pointless off-topic chatter.

A horse walks into a bar. The bartender asks "Why the long face?"

"Because I was born into servitude and when I die my hooves will be used to make glue."

It was at this point that the bartender realized he would not be getting a tip.

Wednesday, July 16, 2014 1:50 AM
  • Oh. My. God!

You again.

Did you really not notice that this question was asked FOUR YEARS AGO?!? And that it had already been marked as answered TWICE?!? And that it was about a Linux server, Not Windows 8.1?!?

Go away, Mark. As usual, you contribute nothing but pointless off-topic chatter.

A horse walks into a bar. The bartender asks "Why the long face?"

"Because I was born into servitude and when I die my hooves will be used to make glue."

It was at this point that the bartender realized he would not be getting a tip.

You are such a sweet old goat, Bill . And about as sharp. Yes, my server is Linux. Hard to find one that's not. Personally, I'm on  LAMP share. And yes, WOW! For the first few weeks after walking into Microsoft Store to purchase my System Builder Windows Pro 8.1 DVD set, all of the new workstation Windows "Add a new network location' was working perfectly... Everything that EW can do on the local desktop (including right click New Word document, 'edit with ew', etc.) I could do on the Linux server machine. Auto FTP sign-in, multiple folders and files edits, creations, and deletions! That is, the full house until I was chatting with a server engineer and mentioned the WOW, which was immediately clipped and is now legless... oh, well. To get it all back I have to go dedicated.

Needless to say, we are up to 2014 December, and the EW Windows Pro 8 love affair is hot and sticky!! Linux servers get all the bells and whistles Windows offers EW, for any Linux server not too prickly to take them on. Host security is the issue, the fudgy-duds complain.  Region 3's big 5 are not updating any protocols. "Definitely not for the latest Mac and Windows. whatever they have on offer." EW still gets the functional Windows Pro 8 'Add a new network location'. Anyone know of a Linux server with guts to move on, let us all know.

2014 WEB DESIGN... HTML5/CSS3... DOM not development

Friday, November 21, 2014 7:19 PM
  • WOW - please, if you want to talk to yourself, just do it out loud and listen to yourself.  Stop using this forum as a general dumping ground for chatter having nothing to do with the questions, dragging up ancient posts.
    Saturday, November 22, 2014 4:30 AM