Sequence Diagram and Interface problems RRS feed

• Question

• User263675842 posted

I'm generating sequence diagrams from the current application in Visual Studio 2010. The application has different layers. Each layer is abstracted well to do the unit test with dependency injection. In the layer A, I clicked a method in a class and initiated "generate sequence diagram" option. The sequence diagram is created which shows the call to the layer B. The problem is that it just stops there and does not show the interaction to layer C or layer D. This is because the layer B is injected via dependency injection to layer A as Interface. It does not look for the implementation.

How can I generate the sequence diagram that shows the calls all the way to the last layer which is layer D? One option I have is to change all the interfaces to concrete classes. Is there a better way?

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 10:07 PM

All replies

• User-1179452826 posted

What is the purpose of your sequence diagram? Design or exploration? The idea of an interface is to abstract away the coupling between the so called "layers". Hence, if you're using them, you shouldn't be expecting a visual representation of the coupling.

Sunday, July 17, 2011 5:54 AM