none
Persistence options for .NET Compact Framework RRS feed

• Question

• I should write an application for Windows Embedded Handheld 6.5 with a local storage.

• What are the relevant persistence options for .NET Compact Framework for different purposes like configuration options and business data?
    • Can I use SQL Server Compact, SQLite or some other similar product to store relational data (thousands of products and customers) locally?
    • The device is connected to local WLAN. Should I avoid storing data locally and store it over network to SQL Server instead?
    Friday, May 4, 2012 1:05 PM

Answers

• The answers to your questions are best answered by your device vendor and your systems engineer.

The persistence options are defined by the device vendor, not Microsoft or the .NET CF.   So they should be able to advise you on your first two questions.   In general I would expect a Handheld 6.5 device to persist the registry, which is an ideal place to store configuration options.

The answer to your second question is best answered with a question - how reliable is the network?   If it is 100% reliable, then you might consider using a network SQL server, but if it is less than 100% you may want to consider local data that syncs with the remote server when connected.

Bruce Eitman (eMVP)
    Senior Engineer
    Bruce.Eitman AT Eurotech DOT com
    My BLOG http://geekswithblogs.net/bruceeitman

Eurotech Inc.
    www.Eurotech.com

• Marked as answer by Haba7 Friday, May 4, 2012 2:06 PM
    Friday, May 4, 2012 1:13 PM

All replies

• The answers to your questions are best answered by your device vendor and your systems engineer.

The persistence options are defined by the device vendor, not Microsoft or the .NET CF.   So they should be able to advise you on your first two questions.   In general I would expect a Handheld 6.5 device to persist the registry, which is an ideal place to store configuration options.

The answer to your second question is best answered with a question - how reliable is the network?   If it is 100% reliable, then you might consider using a network SQL server, but if it is less than 100% you may want to consider local data that syncs with the remote server when connected.

Bruce Eitman (eMVP)
    Senior Engineer
    Bruce.Eitman AT Eurotech DOT com
    My BLOG http://geekswithblogs.net/bruceeitman

Eurotech Inc.
    www.Eurotech.com

• Marked as answer by Haba7 Friday, May 4, 2012 2:06 PM
    Friday, May 4, 2012 1:13 PM
  • Thank you for answering! I posted my question to Intermec forum.

Friday, May 4, 2012 2:09 PM