System.ComponentModel.Composition RRS feed

• Question

• User1258 posted

When will Xamarin provide the System.ComponentModel.Composition assembly?

It is my understanding that Xamarin uses mono 2.10 as their source base, and System.ComponentModel.Composition was added back in 2.8. System.ComponentModel.Composition contains the classes required to use MEF (composition) which is a very useful component.

So any plans in the near future? i need to know so that i can use pocketMEF in the interim if necessary.

Friday, March 1, 2013 2:52 AM

All replies

• User48 posted

Being based on Mono 2.10 is only part of it. The other part is that our "mobile" profile was originally based on the Silverlight profile, plus some additions. This removes System.Configuration.dll and a great many other types and assemblies.

System.ComponentModel.Composition.dll is currently only built for the .NET 4.0 profile and there's apparently a different version for the .NET 4.5 profile.

If you would like this assembly added, please file an enhancement request at bugzilla.xamarin.com.

Friday, March 1, 2013 4:28 AM
  • User1258 posted

Cool, thanks for the response. I didn't realize that System.Configuration was also not included. Does Xamarin have an alternative for using config files? sorry that's a little off topic, i'm guessing preferences persistence is platform depenent, but i'm curious if there is an abstraction layer provided by xamarin to store and retrieve key value pairs (or something similar)?

as for MEF, pocketMEF ( pocketmef.codeplex.com ) does work with Xamarin.Android (well it compiles at least). I can probably use this for now, but i know that it isn't ideal since it isn't the most efficient way of using MEF-like composition.

I will definitely fill out an enhancement request, thanks for the suggestion.

Friday, March 1, 2013 5:34 AM
  • User48 posted

if there is an abstraction layer provided by xamarin to store and retrieve key value pairs (or something similar)?

May I suggest System.IO.IsolatedStorage? There are also a plethora of platform-specific mechanisms you can use, or play File I/O...

Friday, March 1, 2013 3:28 PM