windows azure caching service regional availability RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to use Azure caching PaaS. I do not have or want any roles running it.

I need it for session state for azure website. (not webrole).

So... I'm in the old portal creating a new service namespace (available services are Access Control and Cache). I specify my namespace and choose my Country/Region: United States(East). at this point cache option becomes disabled and changes it's name to "Cache (not in region)". It appears that I can only create Cache service in Central US. 

Why?

all of my services are in East US region. Does having cache in a separate region from the rest of your services effect performance?

Thanx.

Monday, March 11, 2013 2:47 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Azure Shared Caching is not available in all data centers, so this may reduce the performance. I suggest you can choose Azure Dedicated Caching.

Thanks,

QinDian Tang
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 3:26 AM
  • Hi Alex,

I recommend you make use of Windows Azure Caching on Existing Roles instead. Basically, you can reserve x% of your roles memory to serve your cache cluster, that runs locally. And it doesn't cost you anything!

This topic covers the ability to host Windows Azure Caching on existing Windows Azure roles within your application. In this context, an existing role refers to a web or worker role that is also being used for other application code or services. This type of Caching topology is also referred to as co-located, because the cache is located on roles that also serve other functions.

Hope this helps!

Best Regards,
    Carlos Sardo

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 10:25 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Azure Shared Caching is not available in all data centers, so this may reduce the performance. I suggest you can choose Azure Dedicated Caching.

Thanks,

QinDian Tang
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 3:26 AM
  • Hi Alex,

I recommend you make use of Windows Azure Caching on Existing Roles instead. Basically, you can reserve x% of your roles memory to serve your cache cluster, that runs locally. And it doesn't cost you anything!

This topic covers the ability to host Windows Azure Caching on existing Windows Azure roles within your application. In this context, an existing role refers to a web or worker role that is also being used for other application code or services. This type of Caching topology is also referred to as co-located, because the cache is located on roles that also serve other functions.

Hope this helps!

Best Regards,
    Carlos Sardo

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 10:25 AM
  • I do not have existing roles. I run Azure website in free mode.

I'm using MSDN subscription benefits... one of which is free 128 Mb of cache.

Every other free portion of subscription is taken up by VMs that run other parts of my app.

I do not want to spin up any web or worker roles. I am trying to use black box solution for session state.

So are you guys are saying that my only option is to move my entire app infrastructure to Central US?

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 4:38 PM
  • Hi,

If it was your situation, I think the better way is to move. It is still a preview feature. Sorry for the inconvenience. You can vote it as a new feature:

http://www.mygreatwindowsazureidea.com/forums/34192-windows-azure-feature-voting

Thanks,

QinDian Tang

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 2:32 AM