Prevent from removing digital signatures RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have a working MS Word Addin and Signature provider through which I'm able to sign the document. I would like to know if there a way to prevent the user from removing the digital signatures once the document is signed.

I see that there are no events/notifications triggered when I remove the signatures? Is there any solution to this problem?

Regards,

Madhukar

Monday, April 21, 2014 9:32 AM

Answers

• Hi Madhukar,

Base on the description, you want to prevent removing digital signatures. As far as I know, there is no such event we can achieve the goal at present. I suggest you submit a feedback from link below if you want Word support the feature in future version.

Submit Feedback - Office - Microsoft

In addition, a digital signature is an electronic, encrypted, stamp of authentication on digital information such as e-mail messages, macros, or electronic documents. A signature confirms that the information originated from the signer and has not been altered (refer to Add or remove a digital signature in Office files).

So if the signature was removed, we can’t be sure the document has not been altered.

Best regards

Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 2:55 AM
  • Hi Madhukar

Please read this article:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-001/word-help/add-or-remove-a-digital-signature-in-office-files-HA010354308.aspx

It describes both visible and invisible digital signatures. Pay special heed to the section "What is a digital signature?"

As Fei Xue mentions and the article confirms, as soon as someone opens AND CHANGES a document, a digital signature can no longer be valid. It therefore makes no sense to try to prevent removing a digital signature. But this should be possible if you enable document protection so that the document cannot be changed.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 5:09 PM

All replies

• Hi Madhukar,

Base on the description, you want to prevent removing digital signatures. As far as I know, there is no such event we can achieve the goal at present. I suggest you submit a feedback from link below if you want Word support the feature in future version.

Submit Feedback - Office - Microsoft

In addition, a digital signature is an electronic, encrypted, stamp of authentication on digital information such as e-mail messages, macros, or electronic documents. A signature confirms that the information originated from the signer and has not been altered (refer to Add or remove a digital signature in Office files).

So if the signature was removed, we can’t be sure the document has not been altered.

Best regards

Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 2:55 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.

I'm using my custom addin and signature provider. As the source code is in my control, is it not possible to restrict from removing digital signatures?

What I wanted to achieve is, the signer who signed the document should be the only person who can remove the digital signatures. And if the signer distributed the signed document to 'N' number of persons, they should not be able to remove it?

Regards,

Madhukar

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 4:41 AM
  • Hi Madhukar

Please read this article:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-001/word-help/add-or-remove-a-digital-signature-in-office-files-HA010354308.aspx

It describes both visible and invisible digital signatures. Pay special heed to the section "What is a digital signature?"

As Fei Xue mentions and the article confirms, as soon as someone opens AND CHANGES a document, a digital signature can no longer be valid. It therefore makes no sense to try to prevent removing a digital signature. But this should be possible if you enable document protection so that the document cannot be changed.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 5:09 PM