none
Create addin for office 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• How to create Office 2007 addins with VS?

seems that only 2010 (and above) is supported in VS.

Is there any way to build for Office 2007 too? 
    Or if i create for Word2010, it will also work in Word2007?  (i am building simple addon)

Saturday, March 3, 2018 3:52 PM

All replies

• Hello tazo todua,

>>seems that only 2010 (and above) is supported in VS.

What's the version of your Office? Do you install Office 2007 in the PC?

>>Or if i create for Word2010, it will also work in Word2007

Most VSTO project could run from 2007-2016 compatiblily. However, if you are developing, you must create same version project as your office so you could try to run and debug it.

Best Regards,

Terry

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 5, 2018 6:36 AM
  • Terry, i am a bit surpried with answer. as 99% of answers i see on msdn are not helpful related to the question i search (unlike to StackOverflow where , in contrary 99% of answers are exact).

I asked very very simple thing. 

I am developing addin in VS 2017.

the oldest is office 2010 word supported .

I created addin successfuly, it works. but  on PC , where is installed office  2007,  addin is not integrated into word, i cant see it anywhere.

Should I get VS 2010 (not express, but enterprise version?) to specificaly develop the same project for 2007 word?

so, i quote my question again:

How to create Office 2007 addins with VS?

seems that only 2010 (and above) is supported in VS.

Is there any way to build for Office 2007 too? 
    Or if i create for Word2010, it will also work in Word2007?  (i am building simple addon)

• Edited by tazo todua Wednesday, March 7, 2018 11:20 AM
    Wednesday, March 7, 2018 10:58 AM
  • Hello tazo todua,

>>Or if i create for Word2010, it will also work in Word2007

You could create an add-in for Word 2010 and work in Word 2007. However, please note you need use the .net framework 4.0 and later. Please refer to below link for more help.

Running Solutions in Different Versions of Microsoft Office

Best Regards,

Terry

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 8, 2018 9:45 AM
  • thank you and last question, why NET FRAMEWORK 4.0 needed for 2007 ?? while 3.5 is required for 2010. 

I wanted to avoid installing NET 4 on client computers, because they have Windows 7 (with 3.5 framework). Why it's required i dont know, i just creating very simple app, which even doesnt need framework >2.0.

Saturday, March 10, 2018 6:28 AM
  • Hello tazou todua,

We use VSTO Runtime to develop VSTO and VSTO consists of two main components. One of them is the Office extensions for the .NET Framework so the VSTO developments is limited by .netFramework.

As the link I shared before, in the table, 

Version of Office targeted by the project template Target .NET Framework of the project<sup>1</sup> Versions of Office that can run the solution Required runtime on end user computer
    Office 2016 and Office 2013 .NET Framework 4 or later Office 2016

Office 2013

Office 2010

2007 Microsoft Office system<sup>2</sup>
    Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office Runtime
    Office 2010 .NET Framework 4 or later Office 2016

Office 2013

Office 2010

2007 Microsoft Office system<sup>2</sup>
    Office 2010 .NET Framework 3.5 Office 2016

Office 2013

Office 2010
    2007 Microsoft Office system .NET Framework 4 or later,

or

.NET Framework 3.5
    Office 2016

Office 2013

Office 2010

2007 Microsoft Office system
    Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Offic

If you develop the project on office 2010 and target .net framework 3.5, the project could only run in Office 2010, Office 2013 and Office 2016.

Best Regards,

Terry

MSDN Community Support

Monday, March 12, 2018 6:06 AM
  • Hello tazo todua,

What's the state of the current thread? Has your original issue been resolved? If it does, please mark helpful reply to close the thread. If not, please follow up to let us know the current state.

By the way, we would also suggest you confirm with the state of below threads.

How to update VSTO without Uninstalling ?

Should I include "Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office Runtime"? 

Best Regards,

Terry

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, March 13, 2018 5:42 AM