Newbie question: Can Expression Blend 2 be integrated with Visual Studio 2008? RRS feed

• Question

• I was looking at the WPF Application project in Visual Studio 2008 and find it a bit more difficult to work with than Visual Studio 2008 WinForms app (It is a completely different interface and seems a tad limited). At a high level, Expression 2 seems considerany more capable for Win Client UI development, but is a standalone product. I am wondering how these two are related, if at all?

Also, as an aside, does anyone know if Win Client/Expression supports Crystal for report generation? If not, how would I handle reports?

Finally, does Expression support third party controls such as those from Infragistics?

• Edited by BillyM2000 Sunday, November 16, 2008 4:15 PM
    Sunday, November 16, 2008 4:13 PM

Answers

• No, Expression Blend does not support third party plug-ins but I have a good feeling it will in the future. After all, their competitors all allow plugins so they will have to also to complete for market share.

We use Visual Studio with all of our blend projects so yes, it does work.  Blend makes it easy to switch between VS and back again to that you can add increased functionality to your projects using c#.  There is a tutorial on Lynda.com that gives clear instruction on using VS with Blend.

Hit this link and scroll to the bottom of the page.
    http://movielibrary.lynda.com/html/modPage.asp?ID=384
    Titled: #14 Deploying with Visual Studio

Monday, November 17, 2008 9:54 PM