Windows 2008 RC1 / ODBC Drivers RRS feed

• Question

• User592521714 posted

It seems the only driver that comes out of the box is for SQL. Is the MDAC 2.8 the correct download to install on Windows 2008 for the Access .mdb drivers?

Thanks,

John

Friday, November 9, 2007 11:59 PM

All replies

• User1073881637 posted

My W2k8 RC0 (RC1?) has Access drivers already listed in the ODBC Data source tool in Administrative Tools.  You can also compare the DLL's in the C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\msadc\en-US C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\ole-db\ folders.

Sunday, November 11, 2007 1:17 AM
  • User592521714 posted

Hi Steve,

I'm using using 2008 web edition, if that makes any difference. Using the ODBC tool in the Admin tools, the only driver that shows up is the SQL driver. I checked in the directories you listed and here are the files located there:

in the msadc\en-US folder

msadcer.dll.mui
    msadcfr.dll.mui
    msadcor.dll.mui
    msaddsr.dll.mui
    msdaprsr.dll.mui
    msdaremr.dll.mui

in the system\oledb folder

msdasql.dll
    msdasqlr.dll
    msdatl3.dll
    msxactps.dll
    oledb32.dll
    oledb32r.dll
    oledbjvs.inc
    oledbvbs.inc
    sqloledb.dll
    sqloledb.rll
    sqlxmlx.dll
    sqlxmlx.rll

in the system\oledb\en-US folder

msdasqlr.dll.mui
    oledb32r.dll.mui
    sqloledb.rll.mui
    sqlxmlx.rll.mui

Are any of these the Access drivers? If so, how do I get them to show up in the OLDB Data source tool?

Thanks,

John

Sunday, November 11, 2007 11:35 AM
  • User592521714 posted

Just wanted to BUMP this post up. Anyone know what I need to do to install the Access Drivers in Windows 2008?

Thanks,

John

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 10:20 AM
  • User113421904 posted

Hi John,

The MDAC 2.8 release doesn't include Microsoft Jet Driver. You can download and install the 2007 Office System Driver: Data Connectivity Components instead here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=7554F536-8C28-4598-9B72-EF94E038C891&displaylang=en

It includes a set of components that can be used by non-Microsoft Office applications to read data from 2007 Office system files such as Microsoft Office Access 2007 (mdb and accdb) files and Microsoft Office Excel 2007 (xls, xlsx, and xlsb) files.

Thursday, November 15, 2007 3:44 AM
  • User592521714 posted

Thank Zhao.

I installed the Components and still have a question. Looking in the ODBC Data Sources in the "Drivers" tab, none of the newly installed drivers show up. Is there something else that I yet need to do?

Thanks,

John

Thursday, November 15, 2007 8:10 AM
  • User113421904 posted

Hi John,

Based on my additional research done today, I have been able to find out this issue happens on 64-bit versions of Windows. The version of the Operation System being verified is Windows Server 2008 Beta 3 (Build 6001).

When you are viewing the installed ODBC Driver from Control Panel -> Administartive Tools -> Data Source (ODBC), you can only find the following two drivers listed:

• SQL Native Client
    • SQL Server

This is because the 64-bit version of ODBC Data Source Administrator only lists 64-bit version of drivers. To view 32-bit version of ODBC Driver, you can use the C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe instead.

Friday, November 16, 2007 4:15 AM
  • User592521714 posted

Hi Zhao,

If you happen to be browsing the forum, I  would like to revisit this issue.

The reason I first posted was that I had an asp application that was working just fine with a file DSN on IIS 6.0 and is not working at all in IIS 7.0. The error I have always been getting in the failed event tracking is that it cannot find the DB at the path specified. Everything checked out, the path info was correct, and I was totally perplexed.

I found this article and changed the permissions per the article, but the result was the same. http://blogs.iis.net/bills/archive/2006/10/18/loadUserProfile-and-IIS7-_2D00_-understanding-temporary-directory-failures.aspx

Up until now there were no errors reported in the error log. Today, I discovered the one below. You will see in the error that the path in the error for the ODBC connections is referring to the "D:\longhorn_rc0\..." location. That is extremely interesting as there is no "D:\" drive anywhere on the server.

Where is this informaiton coming from???

Thanks again for all of you time.

John

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        ODBC
    Date:          11/21/2007 8:42:22 AM
    Event ID:      0
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      WEB02.domain.com
    Description:
    The description for Event ID 0 from source ODBC cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

Error in d:\longhorn_rc0\enduser\databaseaccess\src\mdac\odbc\core\dm\perf.c(498), The system cannot find the file specified.
    : Failed to query HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ODBC\Performance\First Counter

Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="ODBC" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="0">0</EventID>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2007-11-21T16:42:22.000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>2482</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Computer>WEB02.domain.com</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>Error in d:\longhorn_rc0\enduser\databaseaccess\src\mdac\odbc\core\dm\perf.c(498), The system cannot find the file specified.
    : Failed to query HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ODBC\Performance\First Counter</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

These errors occurred at the same time and since they refer to the ODBC I am including them to possibly aid in the solution:

Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Perflib
    Event ID:      1008
    Description:
    The Open Procedure for service "ODBC" in DLL "C:\Windows\system32\ODBC32.DLL" failed. Performance data for this service will not be available. The first four bytes (DWORD) of the Data section contains the error code.
    Event Xml:
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Perflib" Guid="{13B197BD-7CEE-4B4E-8DD0-59314CE374CE}" EventSourceName="Perflib" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="49152">1008</EventID>
        <Version>0</Version>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Opcode>0</Opcode>
        <EventRecordID>2483</EventRecordID>
        <Correlation />
        <Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
        <Security />
      </System>
      <UserData>
        <EventXML xmlns:auto-ns2="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events" xmlns="Perflib">
          <param1>ODBC</param1>
          <param2>C:\Windows\system32\ODBC32.DLL</param2>
          <binaryDataSize>8</binaryDataSize>
          <binaryData>0200000000000000</binaryData>
        </EventXML>
      </UserData>
    </Event>

Source:        Microsoft-Windows-PerfNet
    Event ID:      2006
    Description:
    Unable to read Server Queue performance data from the Server service. The first four bytes (DWORD) of the Data section contains the status code, the second four bytes contains the IOSB.Status and the next four bytes contains the IOSB.Information.
    Event Xml:
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-PerfNet" Guid="{CAB2B8A5-49B9-4EEC-B1B0-FAC21DA05A3B}" EventSourceName="PerfNet" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="49152">2006</EventID>
        <Version>0</Version>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Opcode>0</Opcode>
        <EventRecordID>2484</EventRecordID>
        <Correlation />
        <Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Binary>230000C00000000000000000</Binary>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 1:53 PM
  • User113421904 posted

Hi John,

Thanks for the information. Based on my understanding, you can ignore the error message related to "d:\longhorn_rc0\", this is the debug information about source code not information of the installation path on your local system.

However seems all of the error messages are related to Performance Monitor Counters.

Here are some possible causes documented in the following KB:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/296187/en-us

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299059/en-us

Did you use the counters in similar ways? Then these KB might be helpful.

Friday, November 23, 2007 1:50 AM
  • User592521714 posted

Hi Jhao, hope you had a pleasant Thanksgiving.

Thanks for your input and taking the time to monitor this thread. I found another related article that seemed to 'fix' that part of the problem:

http://www.coldfusionmuse.com/index.cfm/2005/10/31/odbc.perfom 

But that was just tangential to the main problem of the file DSN not working at all on the Windows 2008 server. Have there been any other reported issues on this behavior? There is very limited reporting of what might be causing this in the logs, and they have been previously posted in this thread.

Any other ideas on this?

Thanks agian,

John

Friday, November 23, 2007 1:48 PM
  • User592521714 posted

Some additional information--no database connections work in sites extended with FrontPage either. Same error as above.

JK

Saturday, November 24, 2007 11:11 PM
  • User592521714 posted

Is no one else experiencing problems with Access Data Bases and DSN connections to Access Databases?

I have two clients with simple ASP applications that need to connect to an Access DB, and about 16 clients that have FrontPage sites, where the Access DB Connections should be almost 'automatic'. These sites have already been migrated to the Windows 2008 IIS 7, but I cannot switch the DNS records to point to them until I get this issue solved.

HELP please, anyone.

Thanks,

John

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 10:38 PM
  • User-1932779691 posted

It's been quite a while since this thread has been used, but I'm dealing with a similar problem and haven't been able to find the answer yet.  I used the 32 bit ODBC Data Source Administrator to create a System DNS with the appropriate name, password and file, and I've made sure the permissions on the database folder and file include Modify permissions for the IUSR and LOCAL SERVICE accounts.  When I attempt to run database operations on the database using the following connection string:

ConnString = "DSN=CTRContractor;UID=blues;PWD=crews;DATABASE=CTRContractor.mdb"

Set oConn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")

oConn.Mode = 0

oConn.Open ConnString

I get the following error message:

[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified.

I don't get it... do you have an answer for this?  I'm sure I'm missing only a small detail, but I'm just working out how to run these old apps on Server 2008 with Access databases.  Thanks! 

Friday, September 26, 2008 12:37 AM
  • User592521714 posted

I think I have the answer for you:

Select the application pool for the web site. Select Advanced Settings.

There under General Settings you will find "Enable 32-Bit Applications" Change this to True.

Click OK

Hopefully this will solve your problem. It solved it for me.

Now do you have any solution for the economy? :)

JK

Friday, September 26, 2008 11:30 AM
  • User617598960 posted

Andrew: Have you solved it? I have exactly the same problem, but with two diferent 32bits apps (I'm not using IIS). In my case, it works if I use a "User DSN" instead of a "System DSN", but that is useless because I can´t generate a DSN for avery user - this is a Terminal Server. Thanks

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 8:26 PM
  • User-1932779691 posted
    Yes, as a matter of fact. Enabling 32-bit applications and using the 32-bit ODBC Manager to create a system DSN did the trick. I need to get into a hot .NET class - this is officially getting stupid lol
    Wednesday, October 22, 2008 8:32 PM
  • User617598960 posted

Andrew:

Thank you very much! It worked by using the 32-bit ODBC Manager:

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 8:52 PM