How to check production machine for samplable physical counters? RRS feed

• Question

• When I launch the Performance Wizard in VS I see that sampling performance counters is divided into Portable Events and Platform Events. I'm interested in sampling L2 Cache misses on a production machine that does not have VS installed. How do I double check that the perf counter exists on the product machine?

What would be the command from the command line to sample with the Platform perf counter instead of CPU cycles?

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 7:32 PM

Answers

• I don't know why I wasn't able to find the documentation on my own, but starting from the links you sent I was able to find Counter which answered my question.
    • Marked as answer by jader3rd Friday, November 30, 2012 12:49 PM
    Friday, November 30, 2012 12:49 PM

All replies

• Hi jader3rd,

Thank you for posting in the MSDN forum.

Would you mind letting us know more information about this issue? Which profiling method do you use when you use the performance Wizard?  

I see that sampling performance counters is divided into Portable Events and Platform Events.

Could you share us a screen shot about the result you get?

What would be the command from the command line to sample with the Platform perf counter instead of CPU cycles?

Not very sure whether I understand this issue correctly, but as far as I know, we could install the Stand-Alone Profiler, and then use this tool from the command line.

Reference:

Using the Profiling Tools From the Command-Line

Command-Line Profiling of Stand-Alone Applications

If I have misunderstood anything, please feel free to let me know.

Have a nice weekend,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Friday, November 30, 2012 7:56 AM
  • I don't know why I wasn't able to find the documentation on my own, but starting from the links you sent I was able to find Counter which answered my question.
    • Marked as answer by jader3rd Friday, November 30, 2012 12:49 PM
    Friday, November 30, 2012 12:49 PM