none
adl,wasb and webhdfs

Question

• Hi,

we have just started exploring HDInsight/Azure Data Lake and i am trying to understand the key terms around adl:, wasb: and webhdfs.

Is adl:// and wasb:// built on top of webhdfs? or there is no relationship at all between this three?

Thanks

MS

Friday, November 17, 2017 9:07 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Yes, there is a relationship.  ADLS exposes a webhdfs-compatible REST interface so applications or services that use WebHDFS APIs can easily integrate with ADLS.  However, there is a new filesystem (adl://) built on top of webhdfs that has more performance optimization not currently available in WebHDFS.  So we recommend you use adl:/// but if you are maintaining existing code you can continue to use WebHDFS APIs directly.

wasb:// is the filesystem for Azure Storage blobs and is also an extension built on top of the HDFS APIs.

Thanks,

Elizabeth, Program Manager on the Azure Data Lake Store team

• Marked as answer by MS_Prog Wednesday, December 6, 2017 11:17 PM
    Tuesday, December 5, 2017 9:11 PM
  • You can access your adls data using adl:// with any ADLS tools and SDKs (.NET, Java, etc.) anywhere.  Azure CLI supports non-windows OS for example.  There is also a filesystem class for adl:// committed to Apache to support the ADLS filesystem.  But if you want to use open-source software as-is over ADLS, then you can use the webhdfs APIs directly.

Thanks,

Elizabeth

Wednesday, December 6, 2017 11:14 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Yes, there is a relationship.  ADLS exposes a webhdfs-compatible REST interface so applications or services that use WebHDFS APIs can easily integrate with ADLS.  However, there is a new filesystem (adl://) built on top of webhdfs that has more performance optimization not currently available in WebHDFS.  So we recommend you use adl:/// but if you are maintaining existing code you can continue to use WebHDFS APIs directly.

wasb:// is the filesystem for Azure Storage blobs and is also an extension built on top of the HDFS APIs.

Thanks,

Elizabeth, Program Manager on the Azure Data Lake Store team

Tuesday, December 5, 2017 9:11 PM
  • Thanks Elizabeth So if I understand right : I use adl:// from within the Azure ecosystem. If I want to write files from on premises systems (windows based or not) to Adls then I use the webhdfs api?
    Tuesday, December 5, 2017 10:14 PM
  • You can access your adls data using adl:// with any ADLS tools and SDKs (.NET, Java, etc.) anywhere.  Azure CLI supports non-windows OS for example.  There is also a filesystem class for adl:// committed to Apache to support the ADLS filesystem.  But if you want to use open-source software as-is over ADLS, then you can use the webhdfs APIs directly.

Thanks,

Elizabeth

Wednesday, December 6, 2017 11:14 PM