Avoid Windows 8 Developer Camp

General discussion

• Marking this as a discussion.  This forum isn't a perfect place for this but MS doesn't offer a more appropriate venue.  I hope this might help others concerned with the value of their time make a more informed decision about this MS offered "camp". Perhaps somehow this will reach someone within MS that will be able to invoke change with regard to the way these events are (mis)handled.

Just had a wonderfully frustrating morning, after registering for the Raleigh “Windows 8 Developer Camp“ weeks ago and receiving a conformation I “attempted” to attend.  I arrived at 9am and found twenty people milling around the registration desk.  No one at Microsoft bothered to see if the size of the room was able to contain the number of people registered.  After standing around for twenty minutes or so we were offered the possibility of standing for the next hour or so until a partition ‘might’ be moved.  I heard someone say they had driven four hours to attend this event.  I was local so I only wasted an hour and a half on this cluster-foul-up.  As I left I noticed even more people coming in.  There were numerous upset people.  MS acts as if they want to encourage developers to adopt Windows 8 but clearly are so utterly apathetic that they can’t even be bother to prepare properly for an event people had pre-registered for.  Even more interesting after looking about on the events site it was clear that there is no way to provide feedback (such as this).  I guess all things considered that stands to reason.  These are not free events.  Developers and their employers have to spend time ($) to attend these events.  Our time is valuable.  It is ashamed that MS doesn’t look at it that way.  Needless to say I’m not going to attempt to attend the “Hackathon” scheduled for tomorrow, but I am registered … which apparently means absolutely nothing.

Friday, August 17, 2012 3:22 PM

All replies

• Static,

Thanks for letting us know about this.  I appreciate this important feedback.  I have engaged someone internally that will look further into this!

-Jeff

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Friday, August 17, 2012 3:37 PM
  • Dear Static Shock,

Firstly, on behalf of Microsoft, please accept our apologies for your inconvenience and less-than-satisfactory experience. It is always our top priority to deliver an excellent experience for our event attendees, and clearly we missed the mark here with you. Usually 50-60% of the folks who register for these events actually show up and attend, and that drop-off rate has been consistent for many years across the US. Clearly we have underestimated the interest and excitement that Windows 8 is generating resulting in a greater number of our registrants attending! We were able to expand the space by opening up the back wall and adding extra tables to accomodate everyone, although not ideal, the best solution in real-time.

I can assure you that registration for future Windows 8 events will be capped to accomodate the great demand and interest in Windows 8, to ensure that all registrants are able to attend comfortably.

Secondly, if you would like to contact me personally, I'd like to offer you a small token of our appreciation for both your interest and your candid feedback, which helps us to keep improving our customer experience.

Regards,

Susan Wisowaty, Senior Marketing Manager, Microsoft Corp.

mailto: susanwi@microsoft.com

Friday, August 17, 2012 4:17 PM