Too many fields RRS feed

• Question

• Access2007.accdb

the query runs fine, a form opens fine - using the query as the record source.   but a report object using the query as a record source throws the error "Too many fields"

the source query itself only has 6 fields - but it is built upon many other queries and there are alot of fields in those.  it is possible that they total beyond 255 (I haven't counted but there is alot.....).

the report object is sensitive to these buried fields to the point it won't render? ....even when the final query will and the report object itself only is to have 6 fields?  ....seems strange.....  have gotten around it by simply using a form rather than a report - but would like to better understand.....

Sunday, April 7, 2013 4:43 PM

Answers

• Hi msdnPublicIdentity,

Please check this link to see if it helps:

"Too many fields defined" error message

http://access.mvps.org/access/tables/tbl0002.htm

Good day.

Yoyo Jiang[MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Dummy yoyo Monday, May 6, 2013 8:29 AM
    Wednesday, April 10, 2013 5:29 AM
  • I have noticed that with later versions of Access error messages are sometimes not accurate, so wouldn't focus on the actual message too much, since it doesn't make sense.

My suggestion (yes it is a longshot), would be to repair your Office installation, make sure you have the latest service packs and import all objects into a new database.

One other thing, you don't have any parts of any other Office versions installed (especially 2010), do you? If so, remove them before repairing your Office 2007 installation.

• Marked as answer by Dummy yoyo Monday, May 6, 2013 8:28 AM
    Wednesday, April 10, 2013 12:35 PM

All replies

• Since it works at the Form Level, Can you in a report use dlookup instead of running all the Source Queries?

I don't know your design but a Report should simply be telling what is in the Record right? You can get the stored values from the Tables and then calculate the values that shouldn't be stored.

Sometimes too much normalization can work against the real needs of the system. If you find yourself running out of Tables then you have to find out if the BE is simply not suitable for your needs and replace it OR if you can indeed combine some Tables as they are engineered as a 1 - 1 relationship. Many 1-1 relationship Tables can simply be combined to a single Table.

My apologies if I am in the wrong direction for your needs.

Chris Ward

Sunday, April 7, 2013 10:27 PM
  • Are un-needed fields being processed such as using asterisk to output all fields?

How many times did you add a field to the report and then delete - they all count.  Maybe start with a fresh report.

Monday, April 8, 2013 12:18 AM
  • I have seen where people use the field twice...One to show the field, and the other as using the same field as sorting criteria showing twice instead.  Maybe looking to those built in quiries, you will find this scenario.   

Monday, April 8, 2013 12:29 AM
  • well I appreciate the replies by all...... but no progress on the mystery.

no sense in restating the original post - - it took some time to make the series of queries that result in the final query which works (and runs quick).  the tables themselves do have ~30+ fields..... but as I noted in the original post the final query only has 6 fields....

so it is surprising, and really not helpful in terms of debugging - for the report object simply to say that there are too many fields.  very difficult to go thru all the queries and attempt to eliminate fields on a trial/error basis...

work arounds exist; using a form is the easiest until printing is necessary, using dlookup of the query perhaps, or probably changing the final query to be a MakeTable or appendTable query and using a temp table as the source for the report object.

but really the question remains of why only the report?  why not the query itself or a form?..... and what is the definition of 'too many'....is it the count of fields of the tables that are sources of the queries?  because there are surely not 255 fields in any 1 query nor anywhere close to that.... or is it the count of the fields in all the queries, regardless of the final query?  at least knowing the guidelines here would at least help......

Monday, April 8, 2013 1:51 PM
  • Hi msdnPublicIdentity,

Please check this link to see if it helps:

"Too many fields defined" error message

http://access.mvps.org/access/tables/tbl0002.htm

Good day.

Yoyo Jiang[MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Dummy yoyo Monday, May 6, 2013 8:29 AM
    Wednesday, April 10, 2013 5:29 AM
  • I have noticed that with later versions of Access error messages are sometimes not accurate, so wouldn't focus on the actual message too much, since it doesn't make sense.

My suggestion (yes it is a longshot), would be to repair your Office installation, make sure you have the latest service packs and import all objects into a new database.

One other thing, you don't have any parts of any other Office versions installed (especially 2010), do you? If so, remove them before repairing your Office 2007 installation.

• Marked as answer by Dummy yoyo Monday, May 6, 2013 8:28 AM
    Wednesday, April 10, 2013 12:35 PM
  • Hi msdnPublicIdentity,

I temporarily marked the replies as answers and you can unmark them if they provide no help.

Please feel free to let us know if you have any concern/question.

Thanks for your understanding and have a nice day.

Yoyo Jiang[MSFT]

Monday, May 6, 2013 8:29 AM