" New Publication " Wizard Option is Missing in Management Studio while trying to Set Up Merge Replication. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi ,

I have an issue and hope that you can help me.

I was trying  to set up a memrge replication from scratch in new Systems ,  so that I can run the Rob Tiffany's Windows Mobile Accelerator.

My first question is
    (1) What is the diffrence between SQL Mobile Server Tools and SQL Server 2005 Compact Edition Server Tools ?

(2) After installing SQL 2005 Server in Winodws 2003 server , I am not getting "New Publication "-Wizard on Right clicking on "Replicationi Node".

Only "Local Subscription" is Listed there?

Am I missing some option ?
    I have selected all the features during installatioin of SQL Server.It is not an Express version.

Please help me.

-Aneesh

Failing is not a crime.But lack of effort is.
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 8:07 AM

Answers

• Hi , All .
    Finally I could solvve the issue.

When I compared the Server features  shown as nOdes with another system in which SQL is installed preperly , I found that mine is missing few.
    When I tried to re-install I saw a simple error message , which I ignored at the first time.The error message was "There was an unexpected failure during the setup wizard."

In the Help link :

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/916760

I found the issue.
    i was trying to install from copied installation files from a network folder.

This problem occurs because the folders that contain the files that are required during the installation of SQL Server 2005 do not have a correct layout.
    To work around this problem, set the folders in the correct layout for the SQL Server 2005 installation.

The SQL Server 2005 installation uses the following two folders:
    Servers
    Tools
    These two folders must be under the same level of a folder or the root folder of a drive. The names of these folders must be exactly Servers and Tools. The Servers folder contains all the files that are required to install major SQL Server 2005 components, such as database engine. The Tools folder contains tools components and Books Online for SQL Server 2005.

I followed all the steps and installed.
    This time all went well and I could finish all the steps completely.

Thanks for all for yourt help.

- Aneesh  Abraham

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 12:28 PM

All replies

• Hi Aneesh,

(1) What is the diffrence between SQL Mobile Server Tools and SQL Server 2005 Compact Edition Server Tools ?

SQL Server Compact Edition is just the new name for SQL Mobile. You can think of it as just version 3.1. The main technical difference is that SQL Mobile couldn't run on desktop computers other than dev machines and TabletPCs, and that restriction has been removed for SSCE.

(2) After installing SQL 2005 Server in Winodws 2003 server , I am not getting "New Publication "-Wizard on Right clicking on "Replicationi Node". Only "Local Subscription" is Listed there?

Please recheck you sql server edition, because it happens with only express edition or Try to reinstall your SQL sever with enterprise or standard edition.

Please let me know if you have any queries regarding this.

Regards,
    Malleswar

Thursday, May 7, 2009 8:39 AM
  • Thank you very much Malleswar ,

About the First question:

In all the Tutorials I saw in MSDN regarding Merge replication they say like:

============

To install SQL Server 2005 Compact Edition Server Tools

You will use Windows Explorer to navigate to and run the Server Tools installation package.

1.         Click Start | Run.

In the Open drop-down list of the Windows Run dialog box, type
                 C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\     SmartDevices\SDK\SQL Server\Mobile\v3.0, and then click OK

=======================
                If we open the specific folder , you can see "Sqlce30setupen.msi" . Here in the Property of this exe , we can see it is "Microsoft SQL Server 2005               Mobile Edition Server Tools" . It is like we begin with CE tools and suddenly reach Mobile Tools.

However , from your reply I assume what we need is Compact Edition Server Tools.
             Since I could not find  Compact Edition Server Tools - However in my local system , I downloaded it from :

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=4e45f676-e69a-4f7f-a016-c1585acf4310

[Again the download was just 1.4 MB while the old edition of Sqlce30setupen.msi is about 3.16 MB]

About version of SQL Server

I tried with Both  SQL Server Standard edition and SQL Server Developer edition.
       I made sure all the Options are selected during  installation except Books and Sample programs which was the last option.
       Is there any particular options - like Check Boxes that should be Selcted ?

- Aneesh

Thursday, May 7, 2009 9:07 AM
  • Hi Aneesh,

Are you trying this link:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa454892.aspx

I faced the same problem but my system had express when I changed this edition I got the option.

Any way check Compatibility Level for Merge Publications :

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143241(SQL.90).aspx

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms152523.aspx

Regards,
    Malleswar

Thursday, May 7, 2009 9:42 AM
  • Thank you  very much Malleswar,

I was not trying that link. When I tried it long ago , there was a lot of issues rigt from getting the .SDF .
    I have done merge replication and related projects before around one year.

Just thought of doing all those things once again in may new firm , and started with one of the greatest example provided By Rob Tiffany.
    Hope you know about that project.

IT iz "Rob Tiffany's Windows Mobile Accelerator".

The VS 2005 Vesino can be downloaded from :

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=80A5C2C5-4F9B-4C1A-BFF6-2A3C6B68D15B&displaylang=en

The latest version with WPF and all can be found at:

http://beta.blogs.msdn.com/robtiffany/default.aspx

If you havent done this , and want to try thsi , please let me know so that we can do it together.

- Aneesh
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 10:15 AM
  • Hi , All .
    Finally I could solvve the issue.

When I compared the Server features  shown as nOdes with another system in which SQL is installed preperly , I found that mine is missing few.
    When I tried to re-install I saw a simple error message , which I ignored at the first time.The error message was "There was an unexpected failure during the setup wizard."

In the Help link :

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/916760

I found the issue.
    i was trying to install from copied installation files from a network folder.

This problem occurs because the folders that contain the files that are required during the installation of SQL Server 2005 do not have a correct layout.
    To work around this problem, set the folders in the correct layout for the SQL Server 2005 installation.

The SQL Server 2005 installation uses the following two folders:
    Servers
    Tools
    These two folders must be under the same level of a folder or the root folder of a drive. The names of these folders must be exactly Servers and Tools. The Servers folder contains all the files that are required to install major SQL Server 2005 components, such as database engine. The Tools folder contains tools components and Books Online for SQL Server 2005.

I followed all the steps and installed.
    This time all went well and I could finish all the steps completely.

Thanks for all for yourt help.

- Aneesh  Abraham

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 12:28 PM