none
How can I create/read a local file (private to the add-in if necessary)? RRS feed

• Question

• I want to write an Excel add-in that supports both PC and Mac. I need to read/write settings and other data kept outside of any particular spreadsheet (the add-in uses this data for working with a fixed-format but 'new data' spreadsheet which is published every day).

I've already written a VSTO version but Mac's aren't supported. From other research, it appears the HTML 5 File APIs are not a good idea. Storing data on the server in some fashion crossed my mind but I don't want to complicate things with User Ids, etc. Or is that the only way?

ldl01031

Saturday, July 20, 2019 11:44 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Yes. Web based add-ins are limited in their functionality unlike native COM add-ins. 

profile for Eugene Astafiev at Stack Overflow, Q&A for professional and enthusiast programmers

Sunday, July 21, 2019 7:52 AM
  • Could you write to a text file in the same folder as the addin. Not sure if Mac's 'sandbox' restrictions would limit which folders you can write to. If going this way use the right path separator, eg

sPath = ThisWorkbook.Path & Application.PathSeparator

Monday, July 22, 2019 1:09 PM