none
Speech Recognition without using grammar RRS feed

• Question

• is there anyway to use the speech recognition to listen to what a user says without having to load the choices in a grammar object? For example if you ask the user for their name, it would be tough to find all options a user can give but it would be nice if it could give you a result and the confidence on the result. Or is this not what the speech recognition is intended to be used for? Thanks.
    Sunday, June 19, 2011 3:21 AM

Answers

All replies

• I'll also post the follow-up link I gave to Tareq earlier today, in case you read response before I posted. For more detailed speech related questions you should look here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/speech/default.aspx.

Hope this helps!
    Eddy

I'm here to help
    Monday, June 20, 2011 9:44 PM
  • I see it like this: a speech recognition engine is really all about recognition. To recognize something, you need to know it beforehand. So does the speech recognition engine.

It does not create funny words, that represent what ever it heard sounded like. That would rarely create any useful output. Even with a dictation grammar you hardly get what you want, without lots of training.

So to understand peoples names, it needs to know them. Now for total strangers that is tough, because you need every name in the world, if you want to be 100% certain. However if you have registered users or customers, then you might have their names in a database. So you could build a loop that creates a grammar out of those names.

Well, maybe the names thing was just meant as an example... then maybe the dictation grammar might be what you want. It knows almost every word and allows for every word to follow after every other word. It is not as limited as a self-made grammar. To use that you need to create a GrammarBuilder object and call its AppendDictation() method, then create a Grammar from it.

After that you might start to like the idea of creating your own grammar. The dictation grammar makes a lot of mistakes (if untrained), cause there are just too many ways to make them. A limited grammar makes only limited mistakes... the choice is yours and depends on the purpose.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 8:32 PM