Task Form Fields with same Name RRS feed

• Question

• If say I have a workflow with a Task Field "Department", then have another workflow with a Task Field "Department" (separate workflow task list).  If I then go to create a new workflow, (using he same task list as the second workflow) and click Choose existing field.  I am now given both "Department" fields with no way to distinguish one from other.  Is their way to distinguish one from another that I'm missing, and if not is this something that is improved in SharePoint 2013?

I should mention that if the wrong one is chosen, it then adds that as a new column with the exact same name to Task list the workflow is being created under. 

• Edited by spi_shane Tuesday, March 10, 2015 6:48 PM more info
    Tuesday, March 10, 2015 6:41 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I have done a test in my SharePoint 2010 and I reproduced your issue.

It is by default that we can't distinguish Task Field with the same name one from other.

I created an approval workflow with a Task Field "Department", then created another approval workflow with a Task Field "Department".

Then go to create a new workflow, clicked Choose existing field,  I was given both "Department" fields. I can't distinguish one from other.

To avoid that,I suggest that when you create a new task field, add task list name in front of the task field name. such as task list1-department, task list2-department.

As for whether it has improved in SharePoint 2013, per my test, it has the same issue.

Best Regrads,

Lisa Chen

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 11, 2015 7:03 AM