Login failed for the user who logs into other user's machine RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    I have logged into my colleagues machine with my credentials. I have added myself in the admin group. But still, while connecting to local machine in SQL Server, i m getting error messge
    "Cannot connect to <machine name>

Additional Information:
    Login failed for user <User Name>. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 18456)"

Please help, how do i connect to local host in SQL Server?

Thanks,
    Pratap

Friday, February 26, 2010 2:34 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Ensure the user or the group which belongs to has been added to SQL Server logins, please double check that.

Chunsong Feng
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    • Marked as answer by Pratap15 Friday, March 5, 2010 6:31 AM
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 8:13 AM

All replies

• Hi Pratap,

See the state for error 18456 in your errorlog file and use my article to troubleshoot the cause.

http://www.sql-articles.com/articles/troubleshooting/troubleshooting-login-failed-error-18456

Thanks, Leks
    Friday, February 26, 2010 6:57 PM
  • If you recently have changed your password you may have to bounce your local machine to have the credential updated from Active Directory.   Try bouncing local machine and restarting your local instance and logging in.
    Friday, February 26, 2010 10:24 PM
  • Hi,

Ensure the user or the group which belongs to has been added to SQL Server logins, please double check that.

Chunsong Feng
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    • Marked as answer by Pratap15 Friday, March 5, 2010 6:31 AM
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 8:13 AM
  • Thanks a lot.
    Friday, March 5, 2010 6:32 AM