Analysis Services Connector not launching / DMG Service Error RRS feed

• Question

• Hello! I'm hoping someone here might be able to help me get the Analysis Services Connector working. Sorry, this is not really a PowerPivot question but there doesn't seem to be a PowerBI forum.

I received the following error when attempting to launch the connector:

An unexpected initialization error occurred. Check event logs for more details. If the issue is not resolved, you can try reinstalling the Analysis Services Connect. ERROR: The operation has time out.

Obviously, I have done a full uninstall and reinstall of the Connector (all program files and registry keys are removed on uninstall). The error still occurs on re-installation.

There is a corresponding error in the event log, here are the details:

A component of Data Management Gateway has exited unexpectedly and will restart automatically. Component name: GatewayHostService

Any advice or help would be amazing.

Thank you!

Chris

Monday, September 7, 2015 6:50 AM

Answers

• Hi Chris,

According to your description, you are experiencing the issue A component of Data Management Gateway has exited unexpectedly and will restart automatically. Component name: GatewayHostService, when working with  Analysis Services Connector, right?

Based on my research, when we are having issues using the Power BI Analysis Services Connector, be sure check out these troubleshooting tips.

1. Check if you can sign in to Power BI with the account you used when configuring the connector.
    2. Try connecting to the AS server with Excel or SSMS from the machine you are trying to install the connector on. If this doesn't work, then the connector won't connect either.
    3. Check if the 'Data Management Gateway Host Service' is running. Restarting the service can sometimes help.

Please refer to the link below to see the details about troubleshooting Power BI Analysis Service Connector.
    https://support.powerbi.com/knowledgebase/articles/505324-troubleshooting-power-bi-analysis-service-connecto

Besides, if this is not what you want, since I am not a expert on Access, you can post the issue on the forum below.
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/en-us/home?category=powerbi

Regards,

Charlie Liao
    TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Charlie Liao Tuesday, September 22, 2015 8:55 AM
    • Marked as answer by Charlie Liao Thursday, October 8, 2015 9:29 AM
    Friday, September 18, 2015 2:22 AM