none
Making the coolest possible heat map RRS feed

• Question

• Hey all,

I'm using Bing Maps v7 API, and I'm trying to build heatmaps of, well, where certain things are hot.
    Here is my data:

1. I have Lat/Long locations, cities actually, that are specific points on the Bing Map.
    2. Those cities then have density counts for each of my items.
    3. The idea is that the user chooses the item, and I generate the heatmap, they play with it. Fun and neatness happens.

The problem is that it's not very cool looking as it is. For this particular solution, I'd rather have it look really cool than be absolutely geographically perfect.
    Can anyone suggest some artistic/creative or programmatic solutions I could try out?

I've thought about expanding my "points" into city polygons somehow, to make the coverage on the map greater? Maybe draw larger points on the map? Mess around with the intensity? Basically, if you've done heatmaps before, I'd appreciate any tips/tricks on making them look cool.

Thanks, and here's where I'm at today:

• Moved by Ricky_Brundritt Friday, March 9, 2012 4:17 PM (From:Bing Maps: Map Control and Web services Development)
    Tuesday, March 8, 2011 12:13 AM

Answers

All replies

• I've just created a Bing Maps heatmap that uses RadialGradients centred on each point plotted on an HTML5 <canvas> element - works great in Chrome and IE9 with up to about 4,000 points (and FF3/4 with a few less points). Here's what it looks like with the default colour gradient:

I've described it in the following blog post:

http://alastaira.wordpress.com/2011/02/23/heat-mapping-crime-data-with-bing-maps-and-html5-canvas/

twitter: @alastaira blog: http://alastaira.wordpress.com/
    Tuesday, March 8, 2011 8:38 AM
  • Wow, that's pretty cool! Yeah I came across your blog post as I was doing your research. Thanks for that, it was really usefull.

I decided to go the server-side image generation route because I wanted broader browser support, but that's a really cool idea, and would save a bunch of processing power! I like the satelitte image without any labels too. Maybe I'll try that too.

Tuesday, March 8, 2011 3:31 PM