none
EW3 w/SP2 Publish Issues RRS feed

• Question

• I installed EW3 on a Windows 7 system a few months ago.  Initially it was working great - easy to use and pretty intuitive.  Working on web pages was a snap and enjoyable with EW3.

In the last day or so, EW3 is struggling to "publish".  Files are marked "Conflict" (even tho' they've not changed), "Synchronize" takes a LOOONG time (minutes to hours), and even after publishing, files are still marked "conflict".  "Drag and Drop" (from local to FTP site) seems to work OK until I close and reopen EW3 - then files end up with "0 bytes" and/or "conflict".  I've installed SP2, and cleared the cache ("Site->Advanced->etc.) but am still encountering VERY SLOW syncronize and publish - which is becoming frustrating and cumbersome.

I apologize if this is re-hashing an "old" issue! 

Saturday, June 5, 2010 10:02 AM

Answers

• Go here: http://www.95isalive.com/fixes/ew3.htm and download FP Cleaner for EW3

Download links are at the bottom of the page.
    Run the functions that clear:
    The Hidden Temporary files.
    The Hidden Cache (*.web) files.

See if it helps.

Expression Web MVP
    • Marked as answer by Jeep010 Sunday, June 6, 2010 4:59 PM
    Saturday, June 5, 2010 12:54 PM
  • It is a rehash of an old issue. If you search the forum you'll see that it has been discussed ad nauseum and there are hints about how to get around some of the problems. I have always used third party FTP programs (since long before EW), so it's not a problem I deal with. But...

EW 4 is due to be released on Monday. I have a sneaky feeling that this will be one of the issues addressed, since MS staff has asked specifically for information about it in this forum. But MS is playing their cards very close to their vest about the changes/features in EW4. EW4 is a free upgrade for everyone who has bought EW3.

I dream of a better world...a world in which a chicken can cross the road without its motives being questioned.

All replies

• Go here: http://www.95isalive.com/fixes/ew3.htm and download FP Cleaner for EW3

Download links are at the bottom of the page.
    Run the functions that clear:
    The Hidden Temporary files.
    The Hidden Cache (*.web) files.

See if it helps.

Expression Web MVP
  • It is a rehash of an old issue. If you search the forum you'll see that it has been discussed ad nauseum and there are hints about how to get around some of the problems. I have always used third party FTP programs (since long before EW), so it's not a problem I deal with. But...

EW 4 is due to be released on Monday. I have a sneaky feeling that this will be one of the issues addressed, since MS staff has asked specifically for information about it in this forum. But MS is playing their cards very close to their vest about the changes/features in EW4. EW4 is a free upgrade for everyone who has bought EW3.

I dream of a better world...a world in which a chicken can cross the road without its motives being questioned.
  • Steve,

THANKS for the tip!  I downloaded and ran the FP cleaner.  It removed 8 files from one (hidden temps?) and 2 from the other. EW3 still struggles to publish files on one of my sites (255M).  Other, much smaller sites seem to be OK.  For now, I'll keep using "drag & drop" as it seems much faster, and hope EW4 will fix the publish issues with the larger site.

Sunday, June 6, 2010 4:58 PM