none
Is it possible to target .Net Compact FW 2.0 and .Net FW 2.0 in same project(s) / solution? RRS feed

• Question

• My team is working on a software project that needs to run on Windows Mobile 5.0 (via .Net CF 2.0) as well as Windows XP table PC Edition (via .Net FW 2.0).  

We currently have 2 solution/project structures (one for each framework).  The solution/project tree that includes the .Net CF projects for Windows Mobile contains all the source files, while the solution/project tree for XP tablet (.Net FW 2.0) contains only the sln and csproj files.  The projects in this tree use the "Add as Link" option to point to the original source file sitting in the Windows Mobile folders.

Is there an easier way to target .Net FW 2.0 and .Net Compact Framework using the same source code?

Advice welcome.

Monday, March 17, 2008 7:24 PM

Answers

• Phil,

The Desktop Framework actually has built-in support for running assemblies that target the Compact Framework. This means that you can target the common denominator (Compact Framework 2.0) and it will run on Desktop 2.0 without too many troubles.

Regards

David

Thursday, March 20, 2008 5:22 PM

All replies

• Phil,

The Desktop Framework actually has built-in support for running assemblies that target the Compact Framework. This means that you can target the common denominator (Compact Framework 2.0) and it will run on Desktop 2.0 without too many troubles.

Regards

David

Thursday, March 20, 2008 5:22 PM
  • I have a set of libraries that would need to be used by both a Windows GUI and a Compact Framework Windows Mobile GUI, some of which are data libararies that call SQL Server Compact v3.1.  Are you saying that I can have a Windows GUI have .Net CF assembly as a referenced assembly?  Or something else?

Thursday, March 20, 2008 8:01 PM
  • Yes that's correct. The Desktop Framework was designed to be a complete superset of the Compact Framework.

Saturday, March 22, 2008 3:59 PM