Upgrade from SQL 7 to SQL 2008 RRS feed

• Question

• I have an old server with SQL 7.0. I need to Upgrade to another machine with SQL 2008. What is the best approach.

Here is what I am thinking..

1. Upgrade SQL 7 to SQL 2000.

2. Use Redagate SQL compare and SQL data compare to to duplicate the data and schema to the new machine.

What do you think?

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 5:44 PM

Answers

• Well, in that case, your options are a little limited.

Since you mentioned 2000 in your original post, I'm guessing you have that available somewhere. There are no tools that help automate analysis and testing for compatibility issues between 7.0 and 2000. You could review things manually if it's a pretty small schema.

Else, you could just upgrade to 2000, run SQL Server 2008 Upgrade Advisor to scan for pontential issues inside the database and if all is clear, you can upgrade to 2008. When that's done, you can then put the application and database through the full test cycle to identify any compatibility issues, especially if you have embedded or dynamic SQL in your application.

Invest the extra time and effort in testing and your upgrade will likely be smooth.

No great genius has ever existed without some touch of madness. - Aristotle
    • Marked as answer by Keshav Ramarao Wednesday, August 4, 2010 6:08 PM
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 6:08 PM

All replies

• Here is my other question: Will redgate work with SQL 7 (so I don't have to upgrade to SQL 2000)?
    Wednesday, May 19, 2010 6:07 PM
  • There's no direct path to upgrade to 2008 from 7.0; you're kinda far behind there from current, supported versions.

If you're gonna take an interim step, suggest you upgrade to 2005 instead of 2000. The difference between 2000 and 2005 is pretty significant while the gap between 2005 and 2008 is pretty small. Using 2000 as your interim version might give you a rather skewed view of what compatibility issues you may have.

Btw, why are you using Redgate SQL compare? Get Upgrade Advisor for SQL Server 2005 to scan your original SQL Server 7.0 database. It'll tell you if there are compatibility issues with the schema, sprocs, etc... If you get a clean bill of health, it's pretty much safe to upgrade the database.

joe.

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 10:09 PM
  • Thanks for the reply. The software I purchased from MIcrosoft is SQL 2008. I do not have SQL 2005.
    Friday, June 11, 2010 1:19 PM
  • Well, in that case, your options are a little limited.

Since you mentioned 2000 in your original post, I'm guessing you have that available somewhere. There are no tools that help automate analysis and testing for compatibility issues between 7.0 and 2000. You could review things manually if it's a pretty small schema.

Else, you could just upgrade to 2000, run SQL Server 2008 Upgrade Advisor to scan for pontential issues inside the database and if all is clear, you can upgrade to 2008. When that's done, you can then put the application and database through the full test cycle to identify any compatibility issues, especially if you have embedded or dynamic SQL in your application.

Invest the extra time and effort in testing and your upgrade will likely be smooth.

• Marked as answer by Keshav Ramarao Wednesday, August 4, 2010 6:08 PM
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 6:08 PM