Soft numa node RRS feed

All replies

• Yes I believe you should start with 6. If you have NUMA node maxdop should not exceed number of cores in NUMA node. This is general recommendation. However 6 should be starting point and you should look for unnecessary parallelism and may reduce it in future to 4 if required.

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Wednesday, September 26, 2018 9:06 AM
  • i simply use microsoft BP(Best Practices ) Check script to find out microsoft recomendations.

you can find the script from here

https://github.com/Microsoft/tigertoolbox/tree/master/BPCheck

Ramesh Babu Vavilla MCTS,MSBI

Wednesday, September 26, 2018 10:38 AM

• so in my case. is it choosing 6 for maxdop ?

6 schedulers = 6 logical processors. Your each NUMA node has 6 logical CPUs. 

Yes, it is recommended not to exceed the logical CPUs per NUMA node for the MAXDOP setting so in your case, you can start with 6. However, there's no (and can't be) generic advice for MAXDOP and it all depends on your workload and whether it's OLTP vs OLAP and you'd have to figure out what works for you. So, you can start with 6 and see if you need to reduce or increase the number. If it's Data Warehouse, you can (and you should IMO) consider exceeding the max logical CPUs per NUMA node.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" if my response answered your question or click "Vote as helpful" if it helped you in any way.

Wednesday, September 26, 2018 11:59 AM