none
Access crashes when I try to open vba or click Alt + F11 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have an access db that was created in access 2010. I have added a new form to it in access 365. At first I was getting some errors running the updated app on machine with access 2010 and win Vista, but the next day when retried to run the app it started to work as expected. I had added a Dbl_click event to a datasheet column that was opening a new form and passing the related id through OpenArgs to the newly opened form and it was working fine. I recreate the same form again using access 365 but this time when I double clicked the cell to open the new form, I got the following error:

-----------------------

The expression on Dbl Click you entered as the event property setting produced the following error: A problem occurred while app was communicating with the OLE server or ActiveX Control.

* The expression my not result in the name of a macro, the name of a user-defined function or [Event Procedure].

* There may have been an error evaluating the function, event, or macro.

------------------------

After an online research, to fix this, in vba window I selected tools > references and I cleared the references checked boxes and rechecked the previous checked boxes then tried the dbl_click. I got the error again. Then I did Compact and Repair Database which didn't change anything. 

Now when I open any ms access db, I can work with form but as soon as I attempt to open the vba window, or click any event to open vba window the access db crashes.

I tried to repair Office 365 using both Quick and online Repair, none had any effect and program still crashes.

I was wandering if uninstalling Office and reinstalling it would fix this error.

Regards,

Savalan

Monday, July 30, 2018 5:11 PM

Answers

• Before you uninstall try running the Repair. Go to the control panel and select Programs & Features (I think it's still called that in Windows 10). Select Office and choose the Repair option.

If that doesn't fix Access you might have to uninstall and re-install. Be sure you have your Product Key handy just in case.

Bill Mosca
    www.thatlldoit.com
    http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/MS_Access_Professionals

• Marked as answer by Savalan Monday, July 30, 2018 6:59 PM
    Monday, July 30, 2018 6:55 PM
  • I uninstalled, then reinstalled Office 365, but still when I open vba code editor, Access crashes.

Any idea what could be the cause. 

Use Revo Uninstaller to uninstall Office. Revo cleans up the registry and all the little files that Windows leaves behind. Reboot and then install Office and run Windows Update.

Bill Mosca
    www.thatlldoit.com

• Marked as answer by Savalan Thursday, August 2, 2018 12:52 AM
    Tuesday, July 31, 2018 6:02 PM

All replies

• Most likely, the database is corrupt beyond repair. You should never develop a 2010 database in a 365 environment. Always use the version of Access that the original database was built in. Newer versions can add system tables or indices that damage the file. Opening a 2010 file in 365 probably won't damage it, but creating new forms or reports is a gamble you don't want to take.

You MIGHT be able to salvage the file by importing everything into a new, blank 2010 database using Access 2010.

Bill Mosca
    www.thatlldoit.com

Monday, July 30, 2018 6:01 PM
  • Hi Bill,

Thank you for the reply. I have the copy of original db. 

Now the new problem is that in my version of office which is 365 on Win 10, I cannot open the vba even in a new db that I just created on this system.

Do I have to uninstall then reinstall the Office 365?

Regards,

Savalan

Monday, July 30, 2018 6:44 PM
  • Before you uninstall try running the Repair. Go to the control panel and select Programs & Features (I think it's still called that in Windows 10). Select Office and choose the Repair option.

If that doesn't fix Access you might have to uninstall and re-install. Be sure you have your Product Key handy just in case.

Bill Mosca
    www.thatlldoit.com

• Marked as answer by Savalan Monday, July 30, 2018 6:59 PM
    Monday, July 30, 2018 6:55 PM
  • I have done Quick and Online repairs. I am going to have to uninstall it.

Thank you.

Savalan

Monday, July 30, 2018 6:59 PM
  • I uninstalled, then reinstalled Office 365, but still when I open vba code editor, Access crashes.

Monday, July 30, 2018 9:04 PM
  • I got same problem today.  Reinstall didnt fix problem. 
    Monday, July 30, 2018 10:41 PM

Use Revo Uninstaller to uninstall Office. Revo cleans up the registry and all the little files that Windows leaves behind. Reboot and then install Office and run Windows Update.

Bill Mosca
    www.thatlldoit.com

• Marked as answer by Savalan Thursday, August 2, 2018 12:52 AM
    Tuesday, July 31, 2018 6:02 PM
  • Hi Bill,

Thank you for helping me out. Actually before I see you reply I did a Windows Repair with the option of keeping my files but reinstalling windows. That fixed the problem. 

I am going to use your solution and try to fix the same problem at another PC. 

Thank you again.

Regards,

Savalan

Wednesday, August 1, 2018 2:52 AM
  • Hi Stjepan,

Check out my reply to Bill. Make note that his solution is a better and less destructive way to fix your problem.

Wednesday, August 1, 2018 2:56 AM
  • Good luck! Repairing your OS should be a very rare thing, but I'm glad it worked.

Bill Mosca
    www.thatlldoit.com

Wednesday, August 1, 2018 10:49 PM
  • Thank you.
    Thursday, August 2, 2018 12:53 AM