none
Connection times out RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to use the geocoder and the connection always times out. It works fine when I run the website on my development machine, and it works fine if I copy the URL directly into my browser's address bar, but when I try to run it from the live website, the connection always times out. No error code or anything--just refuses to connect. The only thing I can think of is that it just refuses connections from the IP address of the live website...but I'm baffled why that would be the case? I even turned off the security for my API key in case somehow I had gotten that wrong but no, it's still timing out and I can't figure out any reason for it. The fact that it works from everywhere else *except* the live website is really getting under my skin!

Any ideas?

-- Ryan

Thursday, October 10, 2019 7:46 AM

All replies

• Hi Ryan,

You have my permission to try for a "Riskynil" :) I have reached out to the Bing Maps Enterprise Support Team and they have the following suggestion for you:

There is likely something that is preventing communications, so a WireShark or Fiddler capture should reveal more clues as to why.

Sincerely,IoTGirl

Friday, October 11, 2019 4:50 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Ryan,

Another suggestion is this could be due to "CORS" on your website but I think you would get an error message from this.  

There is an old blog post on it:

https://blogs.bing.com/maps/2015/03/05/accessing-the-bing-maps-rest-services-from-various-javascript-frameworks

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Friday, October 11, 2019 5:30 PM
    Owner
  • Well, I never did figure out a solution to the problem, but I moved my website to a new server (for unrelated reasons) and the API works fine with the new server. *shrug*

Well, I guess--technically--that counts as a solution! But not the most practical one. I'll still count it as a win, though. =)

-- Ryan

Saturday, October 19, 2019 11:38 PM
  • That is great news Ryan!  Sounds like you had more that one reason to move servers then! :)
    Monday, October 21, 2019 5:09 PM
    Owner