What causes pingme.txt to be generated? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a problem with VS 2010 (I also had this with VS 2008) with the pingme.txt file.  At least it appears this is the problem, maybe it's just another symptom of the actual problem.  What causes VS to generate this file?

From what I have read elsewhere, if VS detects this file it will download symbols to the directory containing this file (working directory?)?  I have deleted all occurrences of pingme.txt from my machine numerous times but it keeps regenerating.  The problem is that I have VS setup with symbol store paths and to cache symbols to c:\symbols, so this pingme.txt appears to be overriding that.

The biggest issue with this is that it can cause my VS install to stop working or lose some functionality by downloading not only symbols, but dlls to Common7\IDE!  This is always reproducable for me with the following scenario:

• A process running in Server 2008 asserts
    • It is opened in the debugger and a full memory dump is saved out via VS
    • This .dmp file is copied to my machine running Win7 x64
    • I open the .dmp file under VS 2010 and start debugging
    • A pingme.txt file is generated under Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10\Common7\IDE
    • Symbols and dlls for server 2008 are downloaded to Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10\Common7\IDE
    • When I next try to launch VS it uses assemblies found in Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10\Common7\IDE instead of WinSxS and either VS will fail to start (for VS 2008) or some functionality doesn't work correctly (VS 2010)

The listing of files I had to remove (sent ot the recycle bin) is shown below.  Once I remove these files I can again run normally.

Friday, March 23, 2012 10:28 PM

Answers

All replies