Screen Freezes / PC Hangs up

Question

• I installed the developer preview yesterday. It worked fine, had one or two explorer.exe crashes but nothing much for an Alpha Build.

This morning at work I connected a secondary screen and after a while the screen randomly freezes up and the PC hangs up for a good half a minute on average. I removed the secondary screen and the problem is still persistent. I dont mind random crashes here and there but the freeze up totally hinders any work / play on windows 8.

I am running a dell i5 m480 2.66 ghz / 4gb ram / x64 / AMD Radeon 6500M series.

I am re installing windows 8 and will forgo the auto downloaded video driver and install the official one from the AMD Radeon. Will keep you guys updated on this issue / if it is resolved.

Please discuss here if you are facing a similar issue. 

Thursday, September 15, 2011 8:38 AM

Answers

All replies

• I noticed that sometimes it starts freezing whenever I mouse over to the left side of the screen (to bring up the "get back to previous app" UI). Whenever I do that, it freezes the screen for 30 sec - 1 min. If I have audio/video playing, the audio continues, but the video freezes (the audio from the video continues playing) and when it unfreezes, the video fast forwards until it catches up.

As long as I never move the mouse to the left edge of the screen, everything works great. It also doesn't freeze when I mouse over the left bottom of the screen to bring up the charms menu. It also doesn't freeze if I don't have any previous programs. It seems to be a problem with bringing up that specific UI.

If I wait for it to unfreeze without moving the mouse, I can drag in the previous app correctly.

I installed the latest Windows 7 drivers from AMD for my video card and not the experimental drivers from Windows Update, so this doesn't seem to be the factor.

It also doesn't happen every time, but seems to select to either freeze or not to freeze on boot. If it freezes, it will freeze every time. If it doesn't freeze, it will never freeze until next reboot.

My PC is custom built Core i7 2.93ghz / 8gb RAM / Asus P7P55D-E Pro MB/ Radeon HD 6870 graphics running 64-bit preview

You can see CPU-Z validation for more hardware info: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2001095

Thursday, September 15, 2011 10:50 PM
  • same started here as well.. the prob. did not exist before (first few days after installation..)..

it just started to happen.. freeze the screen for 20-40 sec when moving mouse to the left edge of the screen.. (with geForce, latest drivers..)

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 5:51 PM
  • video memory degradation..

The Desktop Window Manager is experiencing heavy resource contention. 

Scenario : The Desktop Window Manager responsiveness has degraded.

or

The Desktop Window Manager is experiencing heavy resource contention. 

Scenario : Video memory resources are over-utilized and there is thrashing happening as a result. Reducing number of running programs and open windows may help resolve this condition.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 6:02 PM
  • There were few Windows Updates happened recently. See if you can remove those. Try to reinstall your display drivers. Nothing works try to do a System restore to earlier settings and see if freezes. 
    Microsoft MVP - Windows Expert (IT Pro)
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 6:04 PM
  • i've disabled the metro ui and the issue disappeared.

(if I re-enable metro it freezes again..)

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 6:51 PM
  • an other is: just close metro apps in Task Manager
    Monday, September 26, 2011 12:46 AM
  • got exactly the same prob worked fine for the first couple of days now just random freezes that cant be fixed other than a reboot its driving me up the wall. if you have managed to fix this prob could you please tell me how you did it
    Monday, September 26, 2011 10:03 AM
  • i cant find anything in task manager that says metro
    Monday, September 26, 2011 10:11 AM
  • do not look anything like "metro"

what you need to close are the Apps came with windows (like tweet@rama, picstreem.. etc)

Monday, September 26, 2011 11:14 PM
  • You should also submit feedback on this hang issue.

Thank you for posting your feedback, we want to make sure we get the right info including your log files. Can you also submit feedback using the Windows Feedback Tool from the Connect Site associated with your Windows Developer Preview program? If you’re an MSDN subscriber, the information on how to join the Connect program is included on the download page where you installed Windows Developer Preview. There’s a link to the Connect site and an invitation code that you can click on to join using a Windows Live ID account. If you’re not an MSDN subscriber follow this limited use linkto join the Connect program and then follow the steps here.

If you are prompted for an invitation code, please enter the following key. MSDN-76H9-3CFP

https://connect.microsoft.com/site1147/InvitationUse.aspx?ProgramID=7221&InvitationID=MSDN-76H9-3CFP

Marilyn
    Sunday, October 2, 2011 9:33 PM