Azure Files Ability to Map drives on premise. RRS feed

• Question

• I have recently had Azure Files enabled on my account and have everything set-up and working which is great.

However I was wondering if there was a way, or if it’s something that’s currently in development to allow the ability to map the Azure Files Shared drive to an on premise machine?

Currently we are connected to my VM’s with a Site to Site connection.  I can map drives that are shared folders on my VM’s but I would really like to take advantage of Azure Storage rather than mounting a drive to a VM etc.

Let me know anyhow

Best Regards

Antony
    Tuesday, June 17, 2014 11:14 AM

Answers

• hi Antony,
    Thanks for posting!
    >>However I was wondering if there was a way, or if it’s something that’s currently in >>development to allow the ability to map the Azure Files Shared drive to an on >>premise machine?

Base on my experience, we could map azure files storage to our VMs. I suggest you could refer to this blog form MSDN blog(http://blogs.msdn.com/b/windowsazurestorage/archive/2014/05/12/introducing-microsoft-azure-file-service.aspx ). But for premise machine, I will try it and come back to reply you later.
    Regards,
    Will

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, June 18, 2014 10:03 AM
  • hi,

Currently, you can only map an Azure hosted VM in the same region to an Azure Files SMB share. To access it from outside of that boundary, you must currently use either the REST API, or one or more tools, such as AZCopy  2.4 that take advantage of that REST API.

And you could submit a feature requestion on azure feedback:http://feedback.azure.com/forums/34192--general-feedback .

Regards,

Will

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Wednesday, June 18, 2014 12:00 PM

All replies

• hi Antony,
    Thanks for posting!
    >>However I was wondering if there was a way, or if it’s something that’s currently in >>development to allow the ability to map the Azure Files Shared drive to an on >>premise machine?

Base on my experience, we could map azure files storage to our VMs. I suggest you could refer to this blog form MSDN blog(http://blogs.msdn.com/b/windowsazurestorage/archive/2014/05/12/introducing-microsoft-azure-file-service.aspx ). But for premise machine, I will try it and come back to reply you later.
    Regards,
    Will

Wednesday, June 18, 2014 10:03 AM
  • hi,

Currently, you can only map an Azure hosted VM in the same region to an Azure Files SMB share. To access it from outside of that boundary, you must currently use either the REST API, or one or more tools, such as AZCopy  2.4 that take advantage of that REST API.

And you could submit a feature requestion on azure feedback:http://feedback.azure.com/forums/34192--general-feedback .

Regards,

Will

Wednesday, June 18, 2014 12:00 PM
  • Hi Will,

Thanks for getting back to me, I thought that was the case, I will suggest this on the link you provided.

It would be really useful to use Azure files from our client machines without the  need to host a file server on premise.

Best Regards

Antony

Wednesday, June 18, 2014 1:17 PM