none
hub spoke communication pattern RRS feed

• Question

• Just wondering what people thinking of the use a of hub-spoke communication pattern for scalable SN architecture, I know there is some debate as to whether the use of central respository for data and communication channel is really applicable to architecture (SN) where state is ideally distributed across nodes?

Cheers

Ollie Riches

Tuesday, August 7, 2007 1:40 PM

Answers

• Hi Ollie,

you've said it your self a cenral repository is problematic for scalable architectures. Large web-sites (such as Ebay or Amazon) prefer to go with partitioning and eventually consistent systems in a manner not that different from SOA's principles)
    An alternative to that is the appraoch of a data-grid where the infrastructure takes care of data distribution (although that  it isn't as scalable as the first approach)

Arnon
    Sunday, August 12, 2007 9:37 AM

All replies

• Hi Ollie,

you've said it your self a cenral repository is problematic for scalable architectures. Large web-sites (such as Ebay or Amazon) prefer to go with partitioning and eventually consistent systems in a manner not that different from SOA's principles)
    An alternative to that is the appraoch of a data-grid where the infrastructure takes care of data distribution (although that  it isn't as scalable as the first approach)

Arnon
    Sunday, August 12, 2007 9:37 AM
  • These larger websites which are usually e-commerce based are they partitioning all the data - catalogs, user profiles, account histories, order workflows etc or only certain areas such as catalogs.

I presume the 'intelligence' in these systems is in the design and implementation of the alogrthims that partition the requests and implement resilient and efficient processing on the requests.

Ollie Riches

Monday, August 13, 2007 10:16 AM
  • As far as I know large site partition the data both on business areas and horizentally by usage paths etc. you can take a look both in a recent  blog entry I wrote on eBay's architecture and on the HishScalability  where they have few articles on some of the larger site's architectures

Arnon
    Wednesday, August 15, 2007 11:22 AM