none
BizTalk server image

Question

• We have a BizTalk server configured and running in Amazon (AWS). We need to setup BizTalk in another AWS VPC - what is the easiest way to do this? We only want different service accounts/groups in the new environment, rest should be similar - all existing applications in the new environment. If we take server snapshot (AMI/image), server name (including SQL which is on the same server) will be different. What steps are needed to change the server names and service accounts/groups?
    Thursday, February 16, 2017 6:11 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

You best bet is to stage a new BizTalk Group with the new Domain, Accounts, names, whatever, an migrate the apps one by one. You cannot clone a configured BizTalk computer.  It is not a supported operation. You can SysPrep an unconfigured Windows/BizTalk image. SYSPREP (http://plexuk.co.uk/?page_id=793) is a utility that prepares a system for the purpose of cloning/etc. So when you run SYSPREP, the utility overwrites certain systems settings such as System Name/IP/SID, etc. That is the only supported way to 'clone' Windows and the only way BizTalk will work as well. 

You should be able to import a pre-built/configured BizTalk VM to AWS. Do a search online on how to import Windows VMs to AWS.

Import VM image to Amazon EC2 and S3

Rachit Sikroria (Microsoft Azure MVP)

• Proposed as answer by SMSVikasKEditor Sunday, February 19, 2017 4:11 PM
    • Marked as answer by adit19 Tuesday, February 21, 2017 8:11 AM
    Thursday, February 16, 2017 8:07 AM
  • I am assuming it’s a single server deployment i.e. BizTalk Server + SQL Server + Domain user groups exist on same/single server.

When you configure BizTalk Server apart from creating BizTalk databases, services etc. it also provides necessary permissions for User groups on BizTalk databases, entries in registry etc. so in a crux taking the image of configured BizTalk server and restoring the image on new server will not work. I would suggest following tasks:
    1. Install necessary software’s (Server roles, BizTalk, SQL server, if needed VS etc.)
    2. Take the image backup of this server
    3. Restore this image on another server
    4. Configure BizTalk on another Server (you need to configure SQL before this performing this step)

You can also minimize few other activities, if you create local users/groups. By doing so you can which effectively export BizTalk Configuration file (using BizTalk Configuration tool) from first machine and can import/apply configuration on another machine. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If this post help? "Vote as helpful" or "Propose as answer". Thanks
    Thursday, February 16, 2017 8:19 AM
  • So it looks like we need to re-install and and re-configure BizTalk on a new AWS instance. We do not have any problems with import because existing BizTalk is already on AWS, we need another instance on AWS as a new environment. After importing existing BizTalk AWS image to the new AWS VPC, I thought we could re-configure to update the accounts/groups

• Edited by adit19 Thursday, February 16, 2017 8:27 AM
    Thursday, February 16, 2017 8:27 AM
  • Our new server is ready with BizTalk configured. I'm trying to export an application from existing server (so I can import it in the new one with updated bindings) but export wizard says - Failed to export application <name> During installation selected option "regasm" cannot be applied for resource <name> as a null or empty destination location is specified. Specify a valid destination location for export to succeed.

I see that destination location is empty for all resources under this application. What does it mean, Any ideas?

Thursday, February 16, 2017 12:15 PM
  • Our new server is ready with BizTalk configured. I'm trying to export an application from existing server (so I can import it in the new one with updated bindings) but export wizard says - Failed to export application <name> During installation selected option "regasm" cannot be applied for resource <name> as a null or empty destination location is specified. Specify a valid destination location for export to succeed.

I see that destination location is empty for all resources under this application. What does it mean, Any ideas?

HOLD ON!  Did you follow the correct procedure?  Did you SysPrep?  If not, then just stop now and start over.

Thursday, February 16, 2017 12:40 PM
  • HOLD ON!  Did you follow the correct procedure?  Did you SysPrep?  If not, then just stop now and start over.

Yes, we did SysPrep only at OS level, not at application level (not sure if it can be done for application)
    Thursday, February 16, 2017 1:46 PM

I'm unable to export the application, is there a way to fix this?
    Friday, February 17, 2017 6:28 AM
  • Changed destination folder to %BTAD_InstallDir% and I could export
    Friday, February 17, 2017 9:05 AM
  • I have imported applications and bindings from existing to new environment. However there are hundreds of policies. I don't see them when I do export policy on the application. So I have written some code to export all existing policies to a single xml. Is it possible to import them to the new environment? I know import rule wizard can take a policy file - can it take a single xml with multiple policies? If not, any other options?

Monday, February 20, 2017 6:41 AM
    • Proposed as answer by NarendraSharma Monday, February 20, 2017 1:21 PM
    • Marked as answer by adit19 Tuesday, February 21, 2017 8:10 AM
    Monday, February 20, 2017 8:48 AM