none
Power pivot creating a relationship with columns with duplicate values RRS feed

• Question

• I am creating my first Power Pivot.  I have two excel imports related to payroll.  Both have employee numbers referenced and one has employee names so I wanted to create a relationship.  These exports cover the entire year thus there are duplicate rows for each employee based upon the pay period.  When I try to create a relations ship I get the error that relationship cannot be created because each column contains duplicate values.  Select at least one column that contains only unique values....I will later create a pivot table that gives me total payroll by employee etc.   What am I doing wrong...
    Tuesday, February 11, 2014 12:24 AM

Answers

• Hi,
    >> Relationship cannot be created because each column contains duplicate values.  Select at least one column that contains only unique values.

The table’s relationship error is coming from each column contains duplicate values. You need have at least one column that contains only unique values. You will need to eliminate the duplicate, otherwise the Power pivot will not work. One way for resolving this issue is in your table use an aggregate function if these duplicate records are no useful. The simplest method is adding new column extra to my Excel sheet and using an auto number like SeanDza mentioned.

Here is a similar topic thread for your reference:
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/78d3a631-efea-40b7-9e82-6fbe2f3239d1/excel-powerpivot-create-relationship-between-2-excel-tables-files-located-in-my-desktop

Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by Marvin_Guo Tuesday, February 18, 2014 1:45 AM
    Wednesday, February 12, 2014 8:46 AM