none
Attribute in first level in hierarchy is not visible in cube RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have added a new attribute to an existing dimension. That attribute is used in a hierarchy at level one and there is another attribute in hierarchy at level two. Source data shows the relationship between both attributes and both attributes are populated. Now when cube is processed, in the SSMS attribute in the second level shows the values as they were in the source data, but the attribute at the first level in hierarchy is not showing any thing (is BLANK). Can someone guide here and tell me which might be the reason of that?

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,

Tahir

Thanks, TA

Thursday, August 8, 2019 6:23 AM

Answers

• Hi Will,

Thanks for your support.

I found the the reason, it was the attribute relationship setting.

SITE URL should have a relationship with ID  as well, which was missing.

I can understand your frustration, and sorry that I couldn't follow you.

But would like to thank you once agian for your support.

Best Regards,

Tahir

Thanks, TA

Tuesday, August 20, 2019 9:28 AM

All replies

• Hi Tahir,

Are the two attributes of different levels in the same dimension table? If not, have you created relationship between the two tables in data source views? If necessary, please show us the screenshot of that hierarchy structure under that dimension.

Best Regards,

Will

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 8, 2019 8:00 AM
  • Hi Will,

Thanks for your reply.

No, both are not coming form the same Dimension table.

Here are screenshots:

1. Shows how they are in the Source Data

2. Solution, hierarchy structure

3. SSMS, where first level is missing

Please let me know if you need any more information.

Thanks,

Thanks, TA

• Edited by taghalib Thursday, August 8, 2019 11:39 AM
    Thursday, August 8, 2019 11:39 AM
  • Hi taghalib,

Thanks for your reply.

Based on the source data above, the attribute "APP NAME" should be at first level, and the attribute "SITE URL" is at the second level. Have you created relationship between the two tables in Data Source View?

And what are attribute relationships like? Could you please show us your screenshot?

Best Regards,

Will

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, August 9, 2019 2:36 AM
  • Hi Will, Sorry for a silly question first: How your found out that, APP NAME should be on first level?

Here is the source data view screenshot:

Datasource view screenshot comes in next post.

PS: I don’t know the data model much, just extending the cube with a new Hierarchy as said. My client wants it the way I created but wonders why SITE_URL are missing for some as posted earlier. In other words, why should he reverse the hierarchy?

Thanks,

Tahir

Thanks, TA

Friday, August 9, 2019 9:13 AM

• Thanks, TA

Friday, August 9, 2019 9:14 AM

• Thanks, TA

Friday, August 9, 2019 9:15 AM

• Thanks, TA

Friday, August 9, 2019 9:15 AM
  • So what about attribute relationships ?

Best Regards,

Will

MSDN Community Support

Friday, August 9, 2019 9:26 AM
  • Rigid.

Thanks, TA

Friday, August 9, 2019 9:29 AM
  • Rigid.

Thanks, TA

Change the type of attribute relationship to Flexible and see if it has any difference.

MSDN Community Support

Friday, August 9, 2019 9:38 AM
  • I tried it before. No difference.

Thanks, TA

Friday, August 9, 2019 9:40 AM
  • I tried it before. No difference.

Thanks, TA

Have you processed this dimension table again?

MSDN Community Support

Friday, August 9, 2019 9:55 AM
  • Yes. I did it before, and again did it again.

Thanks, TA

Friday, August 9, 2019 10:37 AM
  • Hi taghalib,

Could you please show us the source data of the table "DIM_SITE"? Especially the column "APP NAME","SITE URL"?

Besides, please show us the screenshot of hierarchy as I posted in my previous reply, we need to take a further check.

Best Regards,

Will

MSDN Community Support

Monday, August 12, 2019 7:08 AM
  • Hi Will,

Thanks for your reply.

There you go:

DIM_SITE Soruce:

and DIM_SITE Hierarchy:

OK, or you need some more information?'

Thanks,

Tahir

Thanks, TA

Tuesday, August 13, 2019 8:17 AM
  • what is the type of the table "DIM_SITE"? view type or table type? I need to view the detailed data, not query statement.

For the second screenshot, I need to see that hierarchy of the dimension table in Browser tab, not dimension structure tab.

Best Regards,

Will

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, August 13, 2019 8:35 AM
  • Hi Will,

Not sure, what  you mean by 'view type or table type?'

And for hierarchy, see if this is what you are asking for:

Thanks, TA

Tuesday, August 13, 2019 9:34 AM
  • Hi taghalib,

Thanks for your reply.

>>Not sure, what  you mean by 'view type or table type?'

View type means that you create a view "DIM_SITE" from other regular tables in SQL Server Engine Instance.

Table type means that you define a regular table in SQL Server Engine Instance.

Besides, you need to view detailed data of object "DIM_SITE", which I mentioned in my previous reply.

Based on the screenshot above, I find that the hierarchy hasn't been changed, APP NAME is at the second level, not first level.

Best Regards,

Will

MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 10:14 AM
  • Hi Will,

Yes, DIM_SITE is a user definded view based on two tables.

As for as the hierarchy is concerned, this is how customer wants to have. You need something elase for analysing?

Thanks,

Tahir

Thanks, TA

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 1:47 PM
  • Hi Tahir,

>>Yes, DIM_SITE is a user definded view based on two tables.

Could you please show us the detailed data of that view? Especially the column "APP NAME","SITE URL"?

>>As for as the hierarchy is concerned, this is how customer wants to have. You need something elase >>for analyzing?

Have you notice the content of my reply? Please change the position of the attributes in that hierarchy, you haven't refreshed the hierarchy on server side.

Based on the screenshot above, I find that the hierarchy hasn't been changed, APP NAME is at the second level, not first level.

Besides, from the recent replies of the thread, it is hard for me to ask for some useful information. And it is waste of time explaining something useless. Could you please keep up with my steps? I feel tired that I ask for the same information again and again.

Best Regards,

Will

MSDN Community Support

Thursday, August 15, 2019 7:04 AM
  • Hi Will,

Thanks for your support.

I found the the reason, it was the attribute relationship setting.

SITE URL should have a relationship with ID  as well, which was missing.

I can understand your frustration, and sorry that I couldn't follow you.

But would like to thank you once agian for your support.

Best Regards,

Tahir

Thanks, TA

Tuesday, August 20, 2019 9:28 AM
  • Hi taghalib,

Thanks for your kind feedback.

Since you have got the reason of the issue, please kindly close the thread by marking your reply as answer.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Best Regards,

Will

MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, August 21, 2019 6:26 AM