Web app/business classes on powerful database server or waker application server? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a new beefy physical database server going in, and I have a wimpy virtual other server (hosted on another box) that is available for my use.

I know ideally, I should let the database server be just the database server and not put anything else on it.  BUT, if I put my web app (which contains the business classes) on the virtual server, I see pros and cons both ways:

PRO: separation of layers, business processing on a different box so doesn't conflict with data processing
    CON: Data has to cross a boundary to be processed, VM not as powerful as database server

I have only a dozen or so users, but they run big jobs, sometimes at the same time.

Thanks for any advice.

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 1:20 PM

All replies

• Hallo

The VM solution works well, BUT it obviously depends on the resources assigned to the 'wimpy' VM.

Also depends on the switches / network points between the database server and the VM, if they are good then I see no problem using the VM, (assuming the connection between the VM and DB server is very good) all you have to really worry about is the capability of the VM in processing the data timeously and serving that information timeously to your clients.  Do some load testing on the VM end and see what the resources do? CPU usage for say 10 users concurrently making use of the application service(s). 

Regards,

Ian

I.W Coetzer

Monday, December 24, 2012 1:21 PM