Will Edit & Continue be available for x64?

Question

• In the Orcas Beta 2, there is still no support for Edit and Continue debugging for x64 applications.  Are there any plans to implement and enable this feature in VS2008?  Or the next version of VS?

David
    Tuesday, October 16, 2007 4:24 PM

Answers

• Hi David,

Edit and Continue is not supported for 64-bit apps in Visual Studio 2008. I can't say for sure whether E&C for 64-bit will be supported in the next version of Visual Studio, but it's something that we are investigating.

By the way, what programming language are you using? Also, is x64 your primary target?

I'm not sure whether this is going to help, but E&C is supported if you compile the app as x86 and run it on WOW.

HabibH (habibh@microsoft.com)

Program Manager

Visual Studio

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 5:29 AM
  • Windows on Windows 64 (WOW64) is the x86 emulator that allows 32-bit Windows-based applications to run on 64-bit Windows.

Habib Heydarian

Program Manager

Visual Studo Debugger

Sunday, December 9, 2007 5:49 AM

All replies

• Hi David,

Edit and Continue is not supported for 64-bit apps in Visual Studio 2008. I can't say for sure whether E&C for 64-bit will be supported in the next version of Visual Studio, but it's something that we are investigating.

By the way, what programming language are you using? Also, is x64 your primary target?

I'm not sure whether this is going to help, but E&C is supported if you compile the app as x86 and run it on WOW.

HabibH (habibh@microsoft.com)

Program Manager

Visual Studio

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 5:29 AM
  • HabibH,

Thanks for the reply.  We're using C# and some C++, and we target both x64 and x86.

I have used E&C on WOW, and that works fine.  My question was mostly just a matter of curiosity.  I guess I figured VS2008 would support x64 at least as well as x86.  Along those lines, I was also surprised to see that there is no x64 native version of the IDE.  I know WOW works just fine, but I always like to see more and more of the applications that I run regularly run natively on my x64 system.

As a side note, another flagship Microsoft product, Office 2007, also runs on my system under WOW.  Again, not a big deal, but I do wonder how long it will take until we can run a completely 64-bit system.

David
    Wednesday, October 17, 2007 3:16 PM
  • David,

Thanks for the feedback. I think your question about when 64-bit will become the de facto target is very valid. Like most platform/technology adoption curves, 64-bit adoption is heavily dependent on customer demand. For example, you've probably noticed that some Microsoft server products are only being offered in 64-bit. The reason being that server-based products are pushing the 32-bit/4GB boundary and can take advantage of the additional memory. It's only a matter of time until client apps reach that tipping point.

HabibH

Program Manager

Visual Studio

Thursday, October 18, 2007 5:10 AM
  • Sorry to be a dunce but could someone tell me what 'Wow' is, and more specifically what it's got to do with 64 bit apps ?
    Wednesday, December 5, 2007 10:57 AM
  • Windows on Windows 64 (WOW64) is the x86 emulator that allows 32-bit Windows-based applications to run on 64-bit Windows.

Habib Heydarian

Program Manager

Visual Studo Debugger

Sunday, December 9, 2007 5:49 AM
  • It is not available on VS2010, please add your vote on the following link to have it some day:

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/559582/need-c-edit-and-continue-on-x64-native-mode

Update:  one week later, they have removed my connect.microsoft.com suggestion, the link above now goes to nowhere

Friday, May 21, 2010 9:44 PM