Migrating from VS 2012 to VS 2015 Community RRS feed

• Question

• User451945003 posted

When I try to open up my C# ASP.Net pages using VS 2015 Community in Design View it gives me an error saying it cannot find the master page.  It does this for all pages.  The pages display properly online.  Pages do load and display properly in Desgin View when using VS 2012 Developer.

When looking at source code the MasterPageFile path is highlighted with tool tip saying file not found.
    Page Title="" Language="C#" MasterPageFile="~/MenuLHE001.master" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeFile="CompanyFind1.aspx.cs" Inherits="admin_CCalls"

Any thoughts what would cause this error for all pages?

Thank you

Wednesday, August 5, 2015 11:34 AM

Answers

• User-166373564 posted

Hi,

Is there a Visual Studio cache that needs to be cleared?

You can delete temporary asp.net files in visual studio, and check whether it helps you.

Rebuilt pages and all "not in context errors" get fixed but come back when VS 2015 is closed out and reopened.

For this issue, it's recommended to delete temporary asp.net files, then clean and rebuild your application.

Please let me know if there is anything that I can do to help.

With regards,

Angie

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, August 6, 2015 3:43 AM

All replies

• User451945003 posted

Tested making code changes which all worked and rendered properly online.  Are special directory permissions required for Visual Studio 2015 Community in DESIGN VIEW to see files in the root of a web instance?  I can see all of the master page files in the Solution Explorer.

NOTE:  we are connecting to a remote VM server via FTP

(1) Tried Rebuilding no change in error. DESIGN VIEW still cannot find the Master Pages located in root.  HOWEVER the master page paths displayed in Code View are no longer highlighted suggesting no issues with path.  Is there a Visual Studio cache that needs to be cleared?

(2) Ran Error Check -  ALL controls located on the ASPX page referenced on the code behind pages are highlighted with Tool Tip of "does not exist in current context".  Rebuilt pages and all "not in context errors" get fixed but come back when VS 2015 is closed out and reopened.  

Now seeing this error message:   ASP.NET runtime error: It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level.  This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS.

Wednesday, August 5, 2015 12:28 PM
  • User-166373564 posted

Hi,

Is there a Visual Studio cache that needs to be cleared?

You can delete temporary asp.net files in visual studio, and check whether it helps you.

Rebuilt pages and all "not in context errors" get fixed but come back when VS 2015 is closed out and reopened.

For this issue, it's recommended to delete temporary asp.net files, then clean and rebuild your application.

Please let me know if there is anything that I can do to help.

With regards,

Angie

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, August 6, 2015 3:43 AM