none
Has ANYONE successfully installed SQL Server 2016?

Question

• I've about reached the "I give up" point trying to get SQL Server installed.  I am so tired of seeing "Use the following information to resolve the error, uninstall this feature, and then run the setup process again."

What's the definition of insanity?  Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.  

Why is this install SOOO difficult for SOOO many people for SOOO many different reasons?  

Friday, April 14, 2017 12:07 PM

Answers

• You may actually be right. It can be very difficult in some situations to install SQL 2016. I see from the log that you have Windows 10. But was that the original OS on the machine? Or did you upgrade from Windows 7?

A little more background why I am asking this. I looked at your logs, and I found that the error "Object reference not set to an instance of an object." is not the original error. This is an error which occurs in Microsoft.SqlServer.Chainer.Infrastructure.WatsonExceptionBucket.FormatStackFrame shortly after the original error was thrown. So that is a classic case of a failing error handler occluding the original error, making troubleshooting more difficult.

Not that the original error is particularly obvious: "Arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow."

But I searched on this error in conjunction with installation of SQL 2016, and I found some older forum threads where I had been active myself, and the common theme in those cases were that people had Windows 10 that they had upgraded from Windows 7. And indeed, it seems that they got the exception in the same class as you did.

Friday, April 14, 2017 7:26 PM
  • You got the same arithmetic overflow this time.

Just for the fun of it, I took a Win7 virtual machine that I had around and upgraded it to Windows 10 and installed SQL 2016 on it. Unfortunately, I will have to say, the installation went well.

But I had Windows 7 Professional on the VM and upgraded to Windows 10 Professional. You have Win 10 Home. And I upgraded directly to Win 10 Anniversary Edition. There could be other differences as well.

I've seen a little too many of these artithmetic overflow to able to think that there is not a pattern.

Personally, I don't do OS upgrades on machines I actually use, but I prefer to keep the OS until it's time for new hardware.

If you are in the fortunate situation that you are in a corporate environment so that you can get a ticket with Microsoft Support that would be great, because I would like Microsoft investigate what is going on - it could be a trivial bug in the Setup program where they have an 16-bit int, when they should have a 32-bit int. But it could also be that your machine is messed up, so there is a oversized value in the registry somewhere, and all Setup could do better is to give a better error message.

But since you have Home edition, I doubt that this option is open to you. And in that case, I really only have one advice: reformat the disk and start over with a fresh install.

If you can keep the logs on Dropbox for a while, because I will alert some people inside Microsoft to look at them, but there is absolutely no guarantee that this will resolve the issue.

Saturday, April 15, 2017 10:41 AM

All replies

• Yes, I have multiple SQL Server 2016 machines running.  Where are you running into issues exactly?  Can you post a screenshot or more detailed information so we can give you the steps required to get it installed?

Jonathan Kehayias | Principal Consultant | MCM: SQL Server 2008
    My Blog | Twitter | MVP Profile
    Training | Consulting | Become a SQLskills Insider
    Troubleshooting SQL Server

Friday, April 14, 2017 12:27 PM
  • Thousands of people have successfully installed SQL Server 2016.

Without knowing your specific problem it is impossible to guess what kind of issue you are having.  However, when the installer fails, it generally does not clean itself up well, and leaves the system in a state where trying to reinstall over the top of a failed installation will fail also.

You can also try following these instructions:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/database-engine/install-windows/repair-a-failed-sql-server-installation

Friday, April 14, 2017 1:58 PM
  • I've about reached the "I give up" point trying to get SQL Server installed.  I am so tired of seeing "Use the following information to resolve the error, uninstall this feature, and then run the setup process again."

What's the definition of insanity?  Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.  

Why is this install SOOO difficult for SOOO many people for SOOO many different reasons?  

Well I can understand your feeling but to help you I would need SQL Server installation logs. Can you locate it using below link and upload the files on Shared location and post the location here so that I can access and see if i can give some pointers

View And Read Setup Log File

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Friday, April 14, 2017 2:08 PM
  • My apologies!  That was an outburst of frustration, not a question.  I didn't expect so many talented (looking forward to earning more than ZERO "points") people offering assistance so thank you for that.  I'll try to provide something useful.

Here is the latest ending screenshot showing numerous Failures.  I've tried following the help to resolve things but no luck:

*** Well, I'm not allowed to post images or links until I'm verified so I'll put the screen shot (error.jpg) out in Dropbox as well.  Dont know if the plain text url below will fly but I'll try it.

I put the entire log folder (the latest of 14 attempts I think) on Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/g34rj22gp67pouu/AADHwQWZozSyLXu9ZhEEp6t2a?dl=0

I've tried to step through the help but I can't seem to resolve things.  I've tried to do several uninstalls but I'm nervous about whacking too much - there's a lot of "SQL Server" stuff.

I will go through the repair-a-failed-sql... doc.  Thank you for re-energizing my quest.  I'm retired from 32 years of coding in RPG,SQL on iSeries but I've decided to learn some Windows coding with C# - just for fun! But this hasnt been proving to be much fun!   I'm ready to dig into some actual functional coding but I need me some data!

Thanks in advance for the help and encouragement!

Paul

Friday, April 14, 2017 4:04 PM
  • You may actually be right. It can be very difficult in some situations to install SQL 2016. I see from the log that you have Windows 10. But was that the original OS on the machine? Or did you upgrade from Windows 7?

A little more background why I am asking this. I looked at your logs, and I found that the error "Object reference not set to an instance of an object." is not the original error. This is an error which occurs in Microsoft.SqlServer.Chainer.Infrastructure.WatsonExceptionBucket.FormatStackFrame shortly after the original error was thrown. So that is a classic case of a failing error handler occluding the original error, making troubleshooting more difficult.

Not that the original error is particularly obvious: "Arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow."

But I searched on this error in conjunction with installation of SQL 2016, and I found some older forum threads where I had been active myself, and the common theme in those cases were that people had Windows 10 that they had upgraded from Windows 7. And indeed, it seems that they got the exception in the same class as you did.

Friday, April 14, 2017 7:26 PM
  • Thank you Erland.  I did upgrade from Windows 7 as a matter of fact.  

I've spent most of the day uninstalling, rebooting, rinse-repeat - I just finished attempting an install (without success) after a lot of clean up.  Your note prompted me to go ahead and uninstall anything referencing SQL Server.  I may have had leftover stuff out there.

I still ended with a "SQL Server installation failed with Exit code (Decimal): -2068643839"

The logs are in Dropbox  - https://www.dropbox.com/sh/g34rj22gp67pouu/AADHwQWZozSyLXu9ZhEEp6t2a?dl=0

Soooo many thanks for your guidance

Paul

Friday, April 14, 2017 10:33 PM
  • You got the same arithmetic overflow this time.

Just for the fun of it, I took a Win7 virtual machine that I had around and upgraded it to Windows 10 and installed SQL 2016 on it. Unfortunately, I will have to say, the installation went well.

But I had Windows 7 Professional on the VM and upgraded to Windows 10 Professional. You have Win 10 Home. And I upgraded directly to Win 10 Anniversary Edition. There could be other differences as well.

I've seen a little too many of these artithmetic overflow to able to think that there is not a pattern.

Personally, I don't do OS upgrades on machines I actually use, but I prefer to keep the OS until it's time for new hardware.

If you are in the fortunate situation that you are in a corporate environment so that you can get a ticket with Microsoft Support that would be great, because I would like Microsoft investigate what is going on - it could be a trivial bug in the Setup program where they have an 16-bit int, when they should have a 32-bit int. But it could also be that your machine is messed up, so there is a oversized value in the registry somewhere, and all Setup could do better is to give a better error message.

But since you have Home edition, I doubt that this option is open to you. And in that case, I really only have one advice: reformat the disk and start over with a fresh install.

If you can keep the logs on Dropbox for a while, because I will alert some people inside Microsoft to look at them, but there is absolutely no guarantee that this will resolve the issue.

Saturday, April 15, 2017 10:41 AM
  • I had a quick look into setup logs and here is what I see

<Detail.txt>

(01) 2017-04-14 16:03:57 SQLEngine: --SqlServerStartup: SQLEngine: Slipstream case: Enable traceflag -T902
    (01) 2017-04-14 16:03:57 SQLEngine: : Checking Engine checkpoint 'StartEngineService'
    (01) 2017-04-14 16:03:57 SQLEngine: --SqlServerServiceSCM: Starting SQL via SCM (-mSqlSetup -Q -qSQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS -T4022 -T4010 -T3659 -T3610 -T8015 -T902)...
    (01) 2017-04-14 16:03:58 Slp: Sco: Returning service process id 14096
    (01) 2017-04-14 16:04:00 SQLEngine: --SqlDatabaseServiceConfig: Connection String: Data Source=\\.\pipe\SQLLocal\MSSQLSERVER;Initial Catalog=master;Integrated Security=True;Pooling=False;Connect Timeout=300;Network Library=dbnmpntw;Application Name=SqlSetup
    (01) 2017-04-14 16:04:00 Slp: Connection string: Data Source=\\.\pipe\SQLLocal\MSSQLSERVER;Initial Catalog=master;Integrated Security=True;Pooling=False;Connect Timeout=300;Network Library=dbnmpntw;Application Name=SqlSetup
    (01) 2017-04-14 16:04:00 Slp: Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.Sco.ScoException: Arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow. ---> System.OverflowException: Arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow.
    (01) 2017-04-14 16:04:00 Slp:    at SNIOpenSyncExWrapper(SNI_CLIENT_CONSUMER_INFO* , SNI_ConnWrapper** )
    (01) 2017-04-14 16:04:00 Slp:    at SNINativeMethodWrapper.SNIOpenSyncEx(ConsumerInfo consumerInfo, String constring, IntPtr& pConn, Byte[] spnBuffer, Byte[] instanceName, Boolean fOverrideCache, Boolean fSync, Int32 timeout, Boolean fParallel, Int32 transparentNetworkResolutionStateNo, Int32 totalTimeout)
    (01) 2017-04-14 16:04:00 Slp:    at System.Data.SqlClient.SNIHandle..ctor(ConsumerInfo myInfo, String serverName, Byte[] spnBuffer, Boolean ignoreSniOpenTimeout, Int32 timeout, Byte[]& instanceName, Boolean flushCache, Boolean fSync, Boolean fParallel, TransparentNetworkResolutionState transparentNetworkResolutionState, Int32 totalTimeout)
    (01) 2017-04-14 16:04:00 Slp:    at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParserStateObject.CreatePhysicalSNIHandle(String serverName, Boolean ignoreSniOpenTimeout, Int64 timerExpire, Byte[]& instanceName, Byte[] spnBuffer, Boolean flushCache, Boolean async, Boolean fParallel, TransparentNetworkResolutionState transparentNetworkResolutionState, Int32 totalTimeout)
    (01) 2017-04-14 16:04:00 Slp:    at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Connect(ServerInfo serverInfo, SqlInternalConnectionTds connHandler, Boolean ignoreSniOpenTimeout, Int64 timerExpire, Boolean encrypt, Boolean trustServerCert, Boolean integratedSecurity, Boolean withFailover, Boolean isFirstTransparentAttempt, SqlAuthenticationMethod authType)
    (01) 2017-04-14 16:04:00 Slp:    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.AttemptOneLogin(ServerInfo serverInfo, String newPassword, SecureString newSecurePassword, Boolean ignoreSniOpenTimeout, TimeoutTimer timeout, Boolean withFailover, Boolean isFirstTransparentAttempt)
    (01) 2017-04-14 16:04:00 Slp:    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.LoginNoFailover(ServerInfo serverInfo, String newPassword, SecureString newSecurePassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, SqlCredential credential, TimeoutTimer timeout)
    (01) 2017-04-14 16:04:00 Slp:    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.OpenLoginEnlist(TimeoutTimer timeout, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, SqlCredential credential, String newPassword, SecureString newSecurePassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance)
    (01) 2017-04-14 16:04:00 Slp:    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds..ctor(DbConnectionPoolIdentity identity, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, SqlCredential credential, Object providerInfo, String newPassword, SecureString newSecurePassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance, SqlConnectionString userConnectionOptions, SessionData reconnectSessionData, DbConnectionPool pool, String accessToken, Boolean applyTransientFaultHandling)
    (01) 2017-04-14 16:04:00 Slp:    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions options, DbConnectionPoolKey poolKey, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionOptions userOptions)
    (01) 2017-04-14 16:04:00 Slp:    at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreateNonPooledConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionPoolGroup poolGroup, DbConnectionOptions userOptions)
    (01) 2017-04-14 16:04:00 Slp:    at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.TryGetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, TaskCompletionSource`1 retry, DbConnectionOptions userOptions, DbConnectionInternal oldConnection, DbConnectionInternal& connection)
    (01) 2017-04-14 16:04:00 Slp:    at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionInternal.TryOpenConnectionInternal(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory, TaskCompletionSource`1 retry, DbConnectionOptions userOptions)
    (01) 2017-04-14 16:04:00 Slp:    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.TryOpenInner(TaskCompletionSource`1 retry)
    (01) 2017-04-14 16:04:00 Slp:    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.TryOpen(TaskCompletionSource`1 retry)
    (01) 2017-04-14 16:04:00 Slp:    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open()
    (01) 2017-04-14 16:04:00 Slp:    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.Sco.SqlScriptExecution.GetConnection()
    (01) 2017-04-14 16:04:00 Slp:    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.Sco.SqlScriptExecution.Connect()
    (01) 2017-04-14 16:04:00 Slp:    --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
    (01) 2017-04-14 16:04:00 Slp:    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.Sco.SqlScriptExecution.Connect()

</Detail.txt>

Above essentially means that SQL Service was started (we can see below from ERRORLOG)

<SQLServer_ERRORLOG_2017-04-14T16.04.00.txt>

2017-04-14 16:03:58.19 Server      Microsoft SQL Server 2016 (SP1) (KB3182545) - 13.0.4001.0 (X64)
     Oct 28 2016 18:17:30
     Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation
     Developer Edition (64-bit) on Windows 10 Home 6.3 <X64> (Build 14393: )

2017-04-14 16:03:58.23 Server      Server process ID is 14096.
    2017-04-14 16:04:00.78 spid5s      Recovery is complete. This is an informational message only. No user action is required.

</SQLServer_ERRORLOG_2017-04-14T16.04.00.txt>

It looks like SQL Setup was not able to connect to SQL Server with the error

Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.Sco.ScoException: Arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow. ---> System.OverflowException: Arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow.

This is what I would like to try. Once setup fails, see if you have SQL Services still left over in service.msc. If yes, I would like you to start SQL the way setup did.

from command prompt go to folder which has sqlservr.exe and run below

SQLServr.exe -mSqlSetup -Q -qSQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS -T4022 -T4010 -T3659 -T3610 -T8015 -T902

If SQL is started, you can try connection via SQLCMD. To do that, open a new command prompt, type

SQLCMD -S.

and hit enter. Let us know the error which you get.

Balmukund Lakhani
    Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other users find a solution quicker
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My Blog | Team Blog | @Twitter | Facebook
    Author: SQL Server 2012 AlwaysOn - Paperback, Kindle

Saturday, April 15, 2017 11:59 AM
  • Wow Erland!  Thank you for all the effort at troubleshooting a newbie's problem!  I hope that I can return, or pay-forward, the help in the future!

Yes, I'm jealous that your install went fine - but that's computers for ya.  

Your policy of NOT upgrading an OS is intriguing.  I'm envisioning many lost hours I could have saved in the past.  Since mine is one of the free, downloaded, Win10 upgrades I don't have install media for Win10 so reformatting doesn't sound like an option.  This is an old machine so I'm thinking about trying the SQL Server install on my wife's new laptop - if she'll let me!  If I can do that could I still access/use it and do development on my machine?  (I hate working on a laptop)  

Thank you for your help - I'll press on...

**** Oops!  My noob-ness is showing.  I found how to create install media for Win10.  Looks like I'll be formatting and reinstalling!

Saturday, April 15, 2017 12:23 PM
  • Thank you Balmukund.  Please forgive my ignorance, I have lots of experience - just nothing in this arena so excuse the basic questions.  

I'm not sure how to "see if you have SQL Services still left over in service.msc." If I look at Services in Task anager I see this:

I still can't insert images or hyperlinks so here is the url to Dropbox with screenshots: 

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2fgcwtwe0m613mn/AAApvgE1lL6Vr3CS82aSOZ1oa?dl=0

< services.jpeg >

...some running, some stopped.

When I ran the SQLServr.exe (SQLServr.exe -mSqlSetup -Q -qSQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS -T4022 -T4010 -T3659 -T3610 -T8015 -T902) I got this:

< Command.jpg > 

Running the SQLCMD -S gave me this:

< Command SQLCMD.jpg > 

Hope I've provided what you need,

Paul

Saturday, April 15, 2017 1:31 PM
  • Thank you Balmukund.  Please forgive my ignorance, I have lots of experience - just nothing in this arena so excuse the basic questions.  

I'm not sure how to "see if you have SQL Services still left over in service.msc." If I look at Services in Task anager I see this:

Yes, you have come as far as the SQL Server service has been created. The error occurs when Setup tries to connect to the server. My interpreation is that the error happens on the client side, maybe because something returns a port number that is out of bounds.

Since you are logically in the Setup phase, I am not exactly sure how to interpret the error messages - maybe they are normal at this stage. I would guess that Balmukund has some ideas of how to proceed, so I pass.

Saturday, April 15, 2017 2:48 PM
  • Starting SQL didn't succeed due to some error but SQL was already running. Interestingly, its the same startup which was done by SQL Setup. Login Failed message came because SQL Server was allowing only SQLSetup to connect.

Here is what I want to do.

1. Stop SQL Service via services applet (Start > Run > Services.msc)

2. Start SQL again using below this time. (this step is different)

NET START MSSQLSERVER /mSQLCMD /Q /qSQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS /T4022 /T4010 /T3659 /T3610 /T8015 /T902

3. Again, try to connect via SQLCMD which I explained earlier.

SQLCMD -S.

Another question, how did you login to OS? Using Microsoft/Live account? Can you try logging into the OS via a local user and try?

Balmukund Lakhani
    Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other users find a solution quicker

Monday, April 17, 2017 4:50 AM
  • WHEW!  It's been a rough couple of days but I am FINALLY back to a clean Windows 10 install on a formatted disk.  Now I just need to start putting things back in - memory/hard drives/devices/etc. - and hope to eventually get back to the point of installing...uh...what was it?... Oh yeah!!  SQL Server!!  

I'll let you know how it goes!

Paul

Wednesday, April 19, 2017 5:10 PM
  • Good luck, Paul! Let us know the outcome - read this thread with quite an interest, like an adventure story :)

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

Wednesday, April 19, 2017 5:21 PM
  • WHEW!  It's been a rough couple of days but I am FINALLY back to a clean Windows 10 install on a formatted disk.  Now I just need to start putting things back in - memory/hard drives/devices/etc. - and hope to eventually get back to the point of installing...uh...what was it?... Oh yeah!!  SQL Server!!  

You have my sympathy. Installing a new OS and reinstalling all programs that I have is definitely not my favourite pastime.

Wednesday, April 19, 2017 9:47 PM
  • ... and if you face ANY error in SQL install, please try to ping me on Facebook/Twitter and I shall try to assist you as soon as I can. My work timings are little off than yours but let me see what best I can do. 

Balmukund Lakhani

Wednesday, April 19, 2017 11:11 PM
  • You have my sympathy. Installing a new OS and reinstalling all programs that I have is definitely not my favourite pastime.

Yes, Quite the chore!!  Especially when the new ACRONIS TRUE IMAGE 2017 that I purchased recently has proven to be useless!  Corrupted backups, failures for no apparent reason, "bootable" rescue media that won't boot, let alone RESCUE! There's my commercial for Acronis.  Sheesh!  Fortunately I did my own backups - just a long, slow slog to get things back and running!

~JustPaul~

Thursday, April 20, 2017 11:30 AM
  • Thanks so much, Naomi.  Yes, an adventure story that I could have done without but to see that boring old Windows desktop come back was a huge relief!  Now I'm looking forward to that - "SQL Server 2016 installed successfully!"

~JustPaul~

Thursday, April 20, 2017 11:39 AM
  • Thank you, Balmakund.   Hopefully. things will go smoothly!  But trust me, I will reach out!  Thanks for your encouragement and help!

~JustPaul~

Thursday, April 20, 2017 11:42 AM
  • After a couple of days of backup software issues, never-ending restarts and clean-ups and...  I FINALLY got my C: drive formatted and a CLEAN, fresh, original (not upgraded) copy of Windows 10 installed. Whew!

Several lessons learned and some new discoveries - Disk Management is a WAY EASY tool for partitioning, resizing, etc. Nice!
    So with TONS of disk space and after getting a few basics reinstalled - Angry Birds, Facebook... you know, the important stuff.

Visual Studio Code - Success!

Visual Studio Community with:
    Universal Windows Platform Development
    .NET desktop development
    Azure
    Data storage and processing
    - Success!

MySQLCommunity 5.7.18.0 - Success!
    MySQL Workbench - Success!

SQL Server 2016 ...drumroll please...

- Success!!!!

So many thanks and praises to Balmukund, Erland, Naomi and others who encouraged me to perservere.

But now I'm not sure where to go next.  Is MySQL Workbench where you go to "do stuff" with SQL?  
    I'm looking for a good tutorial for building a basic database program in Windows - I've gone through the Visual Studio/C# stuff but I can't find anything on - take some data off a form, shove it in a table (preferably something slick with a relational database built around it and query tools and...!) and then go back and get the little data-bits back again.  Recommendations??
    I can't say it enough!  Thanks!  
    Paul

~JustPaul~

Thursday, April 20, 2017 6:55 PM
  • MySQL is a completely different language and has no relation to SQL Server. For SQL Server you need to use SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS for short).

You may try typing it in the Search box and see if you can connect (using your Windows Login) and you may now click on 'New Query' button and try your first query (if the connection will be successful)

SELECT @@VERSION.

Please post result of that query here (we need to make sure you're on the latest SP).

In regards to tutorials I am not very sure which are good. You may start from browsing TechNet WiKi (you may try tag 'tutorial' and see what comes up).

What is your ultimate goal and what do you want to start building?

My blog

My TechNet articles

Thursday, April 20, 2017 7:36 PM
  • But now I'm not sure where to go next.  Is MySQL Workbench where you go to "do stuff" with SQL?  

Yes, if you want to work with MySQL. But I doubt that it will work well with SQL Server. For SQL Server you should use SQL Server Management Studio, which is here:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/ssms/download-sql-server-management-studio-ssms

Thursday, April 20, 2017 9:52 PM
  • Yes, Quite the chore!!  Especially when the new ACRONIS TRUE IMAGE 2017 that I purchased recently has proven to be useless!  Corrupted backups, failures for no apparent reason, "bootable" rescue media that won't boot, let alone RESCUE! There's my commercial for Acronis.  Sheesh!  Fortunately I did my own backups - just a long, slow slog to get things back and running!

I gave up on Acronis over a year ago. It's a classic example of something that was a great product once upon a time, but just being going downhill. The UI in the most recent version I tried was completely dumbified.

I switched to Storagecraft's Shadowprotect SPX. Certainly more pricey, but so far it has been rock solid.

(To be fair, I have used Acronis a few times to copy system disks to bigger disks. That has worked perfectly.)

Thursday, April 20, 2017 9:56 PM
  • I didn't realize!  I got the impression that MySQL was a tool that ran on top of SQL Server.  Have I totally missed the boat here? See, every day I learn a little bit more and get a little more confused!

I don't know which "it" I should type into which "Search box". 

I'm trying to build a simple database application - for now to track the things we want to take on our next camping trip.  What to buy, what's already packed in the camper.  If we want to make a particular dish, populate the "checklist" with the ingredients for that entree, etc. 

I spent 30+ years building large business applications, now I just wanna play with some Windows stuff!

How do I create a form to enter data, validate it, store it, retrieve it, squish and sort it and report on it!?

~JustPaul~

Thursday, April 20, 2017 9:56 PM
  • Let's do one step at a time. First let's make sure you can run SSMS. Just type SSMS in the Windows Search box.

If it comes up, it will be prompting you to connect. Use default Windows Login and see if you can connect. 

If you can and all is well, then click on the button to start a new query and type

select @@VERSION.

Post OUTPUT of this query here.

For creating an application (form to enter data, etc.) you need to use some programming language, say, C# and Visual Studio. You would need to then find tutorial for building such applications and do it step by step. This is not the topic for SQL Server (except for reports that can be done using SSRS).

My blog

My TechNet articles

Thursday, April 20, 2017 10:30 PM

• If you can and all is well, then click on the button to start a new query and type

select @@VERSION.

Post OUTPUT of this query here.

For creating an application (form to enter data, etc.) you need to use some programming language, say, C# and Visual Studio. You would need to then find tutorial for building such applications and do it step by step. This is not the topic for SQL Server (except for reports that can be done using SSRS).

Hi Naomi, 

BTW - love the quote!  Reminds me of "If you make it idiot-proof, nature will create a better idiot."

Thanks for helping me clear up some of my confusion about MySQL v. SQL Server.  SQL Server seems to be the more robust solution so I've uninstalled all things MySQL and installed SSMS.

When I start SSMS I can start a New Query but <select @@VERSION> gives me nothing.  What am I missing?  Thanks again,  Paul

Oh - I did see that SQL Server Browser service was disabled so I enabled & started it - restarted SSMS and got the same.

Ah-Ha!  You have to press "Execute!" (F5) and then select @@VERSION works! 

Microsoft SQL Server 2016 (SP1-GDR) (KB3210089) - 13.0.4202.2 (X64)   Dec 13 2016 05:22:44   Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation  Developer Edition (64-bit) on Windows 10 Home 6.3 <X64> (Build 15063: ) 

SSMS is showing "Connection failure" under Properties | Aggregate Status and I can't find any addition info.

I've gone through the Visual Studio/C# tutorials and have a pretty good start on forms, I need the next piece - saving, retrieving data.

~JustPaul~

Friday, April 21, 2017 1:43 PM
  • You're on the latest service pack for SQL Server 2016 - so that's good.

The tutorial normally do show how to work with the database. It may be a bit transparent especially if you're using some framework such as Entity Framework where most of the database access is handled by the framework and you don't have to think of details.

In the EF you can either start from the approach Code First (which means you create your models first and all database objects will be generated for you).

I suggest, though, to start from defining your database first. In our application we're using Reverse POCO Generator, so it generates models based on our DB structure.

So, I suggest to do a few more tutorials (make sure they do talk about DB access and you can use Entity Framework, it works fine for most of the tasks). After you've done that and ready for your application, start thinking about your database (from the business model perspective). If you will need advice on DB modeling, there is Database Design forum here, you may need to start a new thread there once you have some ideas of how to proceed.

My blog

My TechNet articles

Friday, April 21, 2017 3:47 PM