SSRS 2008 matrix - cascading row groups. how to hide row group columns? RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to hide the columns of row groups in a matrix?

I have a report with a 4 level cascading hierarchy of row groups. The initial state has the parent visible and all child groups hidden. This works fine. But theres a massive space between the parent group cell label and the data cells ie

+Parent .........................................................|data

it looks fine when expanded

-Parent..........................................................|Data
    ..............-Child1.............................................|Data
    ............................-Child2...............................|Data
    ..........................................-Child3.................|Data

But when collapsed I want it to look like

+Parent..|Data

and have the data rows move right/left depending on the level that im on.

I've tried changing the visibility of the 'Static' placeholders for the row groups but that either doesn't do anything or just hides a single cell

Is this possible?

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 1:10 AM

Answers

• Hi There

Please follow these steps

1. Drop a matrix inside your report
    2. Please put  Child3 in the row group, and Data Amount in the details
    3. Now you need to create a parent group for to Child2.  In order to create a parent group, please click on Row Groups pane, right-click the Child3 group, select Add Group, then select Parent Group. I have shown this in the screenshot
    4. Now you need to create a parent group for to Child1.  In order to create a parent group, please click on Row Groups pane, right-click the Child2 group, select Add Group, then select Parent Group. I have shown this in the screenshot
    5. Now right click on your child1 and child2 column and delete them I’m putting some screenshot for your help add your child1 and child2 just above child3 I have again shown this in the screenshot and now you can hide the visibility of your child3 and child2 based on

Many thanks

Syed Qazafi Anjum

Please click "Mark as Answer" if this resolves your problem or "Vote as Helpful" if you find it helpful

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 4:10 AM

All replies

• Hi There

Please follow these steps

1. Drop a matrix inside your report
    2. Please put  Child3 in the row group, and Data Amount in the details
    3. Now you need to create a parent group for to Child2.  In order to create a parent group, please click on Row Groups pane, right-click the Child3 group, select Add Group, then select Parent Group. I have shown this in the screenshot
    4. Now you need to create a parent group for to Child1.  In order to create a parent group, please click on Row Groups pane, right-click the Child2 group, select Add Group, then select Parent Group. I have shown this in the screenshot
    5. Now right click on your child1 and child2 column and delete them I’m putting some screenshot for your help add your child1 and child2 just above child3 I have again shown this in the screenshot and now you can hide the visibility of your child3 and child2 based on

Many thanks

Syed Qazafi Anjum

Please click "Mark as Answer" if this resolves your problem or "Vote as Helpful" if you find it helpful

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 4:10 AM
  • Hi, I think I didn't explain myself properly.

I have my cascading groups and visibility working fine, but the hidden rows leave empty space above when they're hidden. And I want to retain my formatting when everything's expanded

The behaviour I'm aiming for is:

+Parent..|Data

when expanded goes to this

-Parent................|Data
    ..............+Child1..|Data

-Parent..............................|Data
    ..............-Child1.................|Data
    ............................+Child2..|Data

etc..

In my solution my parent, child1,2,3 are all in different columns

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 6:33 AM
  • Hi There
    I think I have understood your requirement and to my best knowledge this is best possible
    solution for your requirement. Otherwise you end up with lot of column spaces when
    you hide your column as you are experiencing now. If you use your approach you end up with lot of spaces.
    I hope this will help.
    Please let me know if you have any questions
    Many Thanks
    Syed Qazafi Anjum
    Please click "Mark as Answer" if this resolves your problem or "Vote as Helpful" if you find it helpful.
    Tuesday, May 15, 2012 9:19 AM
  • Hi Jakubk,

From your description, you want the column that contains the child group to be hidden either when the parent group is collapsed in the drilldown report. As per my understanding, it’s not supported in Reporting Services currently. When we add a toggle to a textbox, the textbox must share the same scope as the hidden item or is in a scope that contains the hidden item. In this issue, the columns that contains the child groups are in different scopes with the textbox that contains the parent group.

Based on your scenario, I think Syed’s suggestion is the closest approach. To make the groups hierarchy be explicit, you can reset the “Padding” property of the corresponding textbox for each group. The report looks like below:

For more information about the scope, please see:
    Calculating Totals and Other Aggregates

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Regards,
    Charlie Liao

• Edited by Charlie Liao Wednesday, May 16, 2012 1:23 AM Insert a screenshot
    Tuesday, May 15, 2012 11:02 AM
  • Is it possible to hide the columns of row groups in a matrix?

I have a report with a 4 level cascading hierarchy of row groups. The initial state has the parent visible and all child groups hidden. This works fine. But theres a massive space between the parent group cell label and the data cells ie

+Parent .........................................................|data

it looks fine when expanded

But when collapsed I want it to look like

+Parent..|Data

and have the data rows move right/left depending on the level that im on.

I've tried changing the visibility of the 'Static' placeholders for the row groups but that either doesn't do anything or just hides a single cell

Is this possible?

This behaviour is by design and you cannot change in any of current versions of SSRS !

Rajkumar Yelugu

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 11:54 AM
  • Thanks guys, I didn't think it was possible doing it the way I was trying because of the scope

I'm a bit confused on how I can use te padding to shrink/increase the width of the column when I use Syed's suggestion. Or is the suggestion to still have a static width row group column but instead of there being4 columns there is now just 1 that is much narrower than the sum of the 4 columns & I use custom padding values for each level to show the hierarchy?

Thanks

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 12:33 AM
  • Hi There

You are getting there. Yes this is what I mean. You just create one column and put some padding from left from you second group onward by going to textbox properties and alignment. The width of this column is almost same of your first column as you are putting some padding so you can add padding on top of that.

You can see from my post above the image look very tidy

Please let me know if you have any questions

Many thanks

Syed Qazafi Anjum

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 12:39 AM
  • ok cool, cheers for the info everyone. I think i'll end up going a similar way but keep them as separate columns like so. Just needed to set the static column that's working as the 'indent' to have it's visibility toggled by its own group (ie column to the left of child1 is toggled by Parent and so on)

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 2:51 AM