none
Installation RRS feed

Answers

• Hi dockhem2,

Please see in this way,

I have offline PC with no Internet and I need frequently installation of Operating System and MS Office, Hence frequent updating. I downloaded updates from Microsoft. I want them automatically update my PC. They are nearly 100 or more. I want them to update my PC without double clicking the update file every time and then clicking ok again and again. Can I do with excel with one time initiation ? or not possible ?

regards

dockhem

Thanks for detail explaintation. In my option, it is hard to achieve the goal. Because we must install the updates one by one, and it is difficult to know whether the previews updates finished to install.  

I also suggest that you repost it in VBA forum if you want to create a solution using VBA. If you have any developing issue with Excel, please feel free to reopen a new thread in this forum.

Regards & Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, November 21, 2014 8:21 AM

All replies

• You can copy any file to any place using VBA:

Sub MyFileCopy()
    filecopy "C:\SourcePath\Filename.ext", "C:\DestPath\Filename.ext"
    End Sub

And you can run an exe using the shell command:

Sub ShellMacro()
    Shell "C:\WINDOWS\system32\notepad.exe"
    End Sub

Installing an exe usually requires user interaction with the installation part of the program, so that part may not be easily automated.

Tuesday, November 18, 2014 5:44 PM
  • Tuesday, November 18, 2014 7:26 PM
  • Hi Dockhem,

>>Actually some times it is a troubleto install small and many files like window updates at places where internet speed is not good. If an automation can be done it is a great help .<<

Did you want to install the help for Excel applicaiton? Which version of Excel are you using? As far as I know, there are two ways in the help of Excel 2013, online and offline like figure below:

Also you can download the Office 2013 VBA Documentation from link below:
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40326

Regards & Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 8:18 AM
  • Hi Fei Xue,

I am sorry, If I could not say properly. Actually I want to install Exe file with the help of Excel in to Operating System. I know it is a very big thing but if it can work, it would be of great use. I want to call exe file double click with excel. And then other demands during installation, like click-Ok etc .

Thank you,

dockhem

Thursday, November 20, 2014 1:54 AM
  • Hi Dockhem,

I am not able to understand the senario you are handling. Usually we can deploy the solution via Windows Installer or Click Once(Please refer to Deploying an Office Solution).

What's did you mean install Exe file?

>> I want to call exe file double click with excel. And then other demands during installation, like click-Ok etc . <<

There is no such event which is suitable to handle this event.

If you want to run the exe file when you open a workbook, you can use the WorkBookOpen event and the code provied by Bernie Deitrick is helpful.

Regards & Fei

Thursday, November 20, 2014 8:50 AM
  • Please see in this way,

I have offline PC with no Internet and I need frequently installation of Operating System and MS Office, Hence frequent updating. I downloaded updates from Microsoft. I want them automatically update my PC. They are nearly 100 or more. I want them to update my PC without double clicking the update file every time and then clicking ok again and again. Can I do with excel with one time initiation ? or not possible ?

regards

dockhem

Thursday, November 20, 2014 12:28 PM
  • Hi dockhem2,

Please see in this way,

regards

dockhem

Thanks for detail explaintation. In my option, it is hard to achieve the goal. Because we must install the updates one by one, and it is difficult to know whether the previews updates finished to install.  

I also suggest that you repost it in VBA forum if you want to create a solution using VBA. If you have any developing issue with Excel, please feel free to reopen a new thread in this forum.

Regards & Fei

Friday, November 21, 2014 8:21 AM
  • Thank you Fei Xue,

Regards,

dockhem

Friday, November 21, 2014 12:07 PM