Split OnPrem/Azure DNS for VM and SQL Server Managed Instance RRS feed

• Question

• Looking for advice on how to set up DNS between SQL Managed Instance, IIS Web App on a VM, and OnPrem email server through IPSec gateway. I want the VM to access the email server via private IP address. And I want to alias the name of the SQL MI because for some reason the existing name does not work with my ASP connection string. I also need MI to recognize my OnPrem mail server's DNS so that SQL Mail messages get routed to me properly. I tried setting my OnPrem DNS server as primary for the VM, with Azure's DNS as secondary, but every time the IPSec connection resets the VM reverts to Azure's DNS and I have to flush DNS to get it to recognize my DNS server's responses again.
    Wednesday, January 2, 2019 11:56 PM

All replies

• Hi cb-Ron,

I would suggest looking why the IPsec conenction drops.
    After that is fixed, use 2 on-premises DNS servers - in stead of 1 Azure DNS.

If youo cannot get the IPsec connection more relaiable, you might consider an ExpressRoute.

Regards,
    Daniël

Thursday, January 3, 2019 3:30 PM
  • SQL Managed Instance currently doesn't support aliasing, so you will need to connect to the instance using the host name provisioned in the portal.

For Database Mail can always configure the IP address directly.  But do you have a Domain Controller VM with DNS configured as the DNS server for your VLan?

Microsoft Technology Center - Dallas
    My blog

Thursday, January 3, 2019 3:39 PM
  • SQL Managed Instance currently doesn't support aliasing, so you will need to connect to the instance using the host name provisioned in the portal.

For Database Mail can always configure the IP address directly.  But do you have a Domain Controller VM with DNS configured as the DNS server for your VLan?

Thank you for the reply. No, I do not have a Domain Controller VM. However, I have moved beyond the need for that; I got the connection string working with the unaliased MI instance name. And I removed my OnPrem DNS server from the VLan for both my web server VM and for SQL MI. I was trying to use the VM as mail server for DB Mail. But it is still failing, giving the public IP address of the VM instead of the private IP. Do I need to restart the MI instance in order for the DNS server change to take effect? I don't see any way to do that through the portal.
    Friday, January 4, 2019 11:20 PM