March CTP: Test project works fine, but my own project doesn't RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I installed Sandcastle yesterday and started trying some things. I followed the steps as described on https://blogs.msdn.com/sandcastle/archive/2006/07/29/682398.aspx and that works fine for the test project, but when I started trying this with my own DLL's there where problems:

• I got the following warnings while running BuildAssembler using the vs2005 config:
      1. Warn: ResolveReferenceLinksComponent: Lookup of the asset ID 'M: System.Data.DataSet.System#Xml#Serialization#IXmlSerializable#WriteXml(System.Xml.XmlWriter)' using the MSDN topic URL web service failed. The error message is: content identifier not found.
      2. Warn: ResolveReferenceLinksComponent: The reference link target 'E: System.Data.DataTable.PropertyChanging' is unknown.
      3. Warn: ResolveReferenceLinksComponent: The reference link target 'P: System.Data.DataRow.Rowstate' is unknown.
    • After that the real problems start, because when I try to compile the help project using hhc, my internal speaker starts to beep and the hhc crashes with this list of errors:
      • HHC3004: Warning: alert_caution.gif : The HTML tag ").:H',NA1=B$6(5C7+PK&L/ ;" is not a valid HTML tag (it does not begin with an alphanumeric character).
      • HHC3004: Warning: alert_security.gif : The HTML tag "í›à“ál¥¸™l¢AÒ(X2L‚°„;" is not a valid HTML tag (it does not begin with an alphanumeric character).
      • HHC3004: Warning: Caution.gif : The HTML tag ").:H',NA1=B$6(5C7+PK&L/ ;" is not a valid HTML tag (it does not begin with an alphanumeric character).
      • HHC3002: Warning: CFW.gif : The HTML tag "T" is missing a closing angle bracket.
      • HHC3004: Warning: collapse_all.gif : The HTML tag "&£Ý‘l8FAêÓñ´Öˆd4­r€¨Ä~„;" is not a valid HTML tag (it does not begin with an alphanumeric character).
      • HHC3002: Warning: copycode.gif : The HTML tag "c" is missing a closing angle bracket.
      • HHC3004: Warning: copycodeHighlight.gif : The HTML tag "‡”K+˜…Sb&WTP^4B‚“'U”b$cNb[7¶105O*..." is not a valid HTML tag (it does not begin with an alphanumeric character).
      • HHC3004: Warning: drpdown.gif : The HTML tag "£È1µ ÒÁ•zÁRD¤l¾RTÀïºëö/?ÇçÑ~V „…†… !;" is not a valid HTML tag (it does not begin with an alphanumeric character).
      • HHC3004: Warning: drpdown_orange.gif : The HTML tag "ÿÓ¤ÿË–ÿȐÿùéÿÅ‹ÿåÄÿéÌÿ׫ÿíÓÿϝÿà¼ÿðÚÿ÷åÿÜ´ÿöåÿôàÿì..." is not a valid HTML tag (it does not begin with an alphanumeric character).
      • HHC3004: Warning: privclass.gif : The HTML tag "³5cµdvgwèâÑðÀ4ž´^p‰žxUhíµdvŽOb{õá†ÿÿÿ!ùO,..." is not a valid HTML tag (it does not begin with an alphanumeric character).
      • HHC3004: Warning: privdelicate.gif : The HTML tag "¡ÚnÛH[u·ÁÒ¦²Ç§±ÇØmÙÉÐÝÛßç©Eªëîóêìñž°J^wòóö˜§¼»ÃÔô..." is not a valid HTML tag (it does not begin with an alphanumeric character).
      • HHC3004: Warning: privdelicate.gif : The HTML tag "0`@ ª|©z¥I.ô͐LjH"?@`…΂r@D$E 8H„€ÌA..." is not a valid HTML tag (it does not begin with an alphanumeric character).
      • HHC3004: Warning: privenum.gif : The HTML tag "ñàŽdvÙ¿i½ÆÖêÏo¿¶«cu˜§¼ß¸I¸ÁÒ«·ËéÊggwm–çÈdUhž..." is not a valid HTML tag (it does not begin with an alphanumeric character).
      • HHC3004: Warning: privevent.gif : The HTML tag "‡@P$"58#Q¬DR0ãB•œ(ˆ;" is not a valid HTML tag (it does not begin with an alphanumeric character).
      • HHC3004: Warning: privinterface.gif : The HTML tag "@J„!IW83",*MW" is not a valid HTML tag (it does not begin with an alphanumeric character).
      • HHC3004: Warning: privmethod.gif : The HTML tag "Ÿûûüú›û•8–ËgÌŸª»|-}ôæôÒkÓ0€óãóÓØÛðÔðìÒìN‘z+{Oc|»..." is not a valid HTML tag (it does not begin with an alphanumeric character).
      • HHC3004: Warning: privmethod.gif : The HTML tag "§Š+92$,-] Nh"K)8C4I H‚GFR3#U?‚WL..." is not a valid HTML tag (it does not begin with an alphanumeric character).
      • HHC3004: Warning: privproperty.gif : The HTML tag "ˆT@`#j Ò𧆃,Dé€ !°ÁŠlÁ4¯P0Z$äKƒ Q" is not a valid HTML tag (it does not begin with an alphanumeric character).
      • HHC3004: Warning: protclass.gif : The HTML tag "³Ë¯uôá†È«dØlÙîêÞëáͦ…8íµžxðÀ4óëÛõì²ðèÖîÛ–þõ¬5cµä..." is not a valid HTML tag (it does not begin with an alphanumeric character).
      • HHC3004: Warning: protdeligate.gif : The HTML tag "¡ê‹ëËÌÉäçîH[uÙÞæÛßç—£­;Oi³½Ðëî󓡺ùúûѼâK_yßÏ®©Eª—..." is not a valid HTML tag (it does not begin with an alphanumeric character).
      • HHC3002: Warning: protdeligate.gif : The HTML tag "Qk" is missing a closing angle bracket.
      • HHC3004: Warning: protenum.gif : The HTML tag "áÓ·ëÛ´åÃYÿÿÿ!ùZ,¤€Z‚ƒ!ƒŽ#:Žƒ$..." is not a valid HTML tag (it does not begin with an alphanumeric character).
      • HHC3002: Warning: protenum.gif : The HTML tag "U" is missing a closing angle bracket.
      • HHC3004: Warning: protevent.gif : The HTML tag "‡O!97 ‡J,K ‘“D;£‡L"+‘’G12‚& @/$'..." is not a valid HTML tag (it does not begin with an alphanumeric character).
      • HHC3004: Warning: protinterface.gif : The HTML tag ":0H;KB6!/=,A(žK„1?E

Any ideas on how to solve this? I found some other posts on the internet concerning this issues, but fount no answers to it.

Thanx in advance,

Bart

Thursday, May 10, 2007 9:14 AM

Answers

• The warnings from BuildAssembler are normal.  A cause for the HHC3002/HHC3004 warnings was just discovered.  It turns out it is a help compiler issue (HHC.EXE).  If a folder in the path ends with something equal to or starting with ".help" or ".hlp" (case insensitive), it will generate the HHC3002 and HHC3004 warnings.  Change or remove the period or use something other than "help" or "hlp" in the folder name and everything is okay.

Eric

Thursday, May 17, 2007 2:57 AM

All replies

• The warnings from BuildAssembler are normal.  A cause for the HHC3002/HHC3004 warnings was just discovered.  It turns out it is a help compiler issue (HHC.EXE).  If a folder in the path ends with something equal to or starting with ".help" or ".hlp" (case insensitive), it will generate the HHC3002 and HHC3004 warnings.  Change or remove the period or use something other than "help" or "hlp" in the folder name and everything is okay.

Eric

Thursday, May 17, 2007 2:57 AM
  • Hi Eric,

Thanks for your response. Unfortunately I have no files or directories with ".help" or ".hlp" in the name, so I guess ther is another problem in my case.

Bart

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 6:58 AM